Found out today...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with the Jeep is thankfully not the shift fork. Mechanic called me today and told me it was a problem with the clutch, the master cylinder I think he said, and it'll run me about $432.55 for parts + labor--lovely. Anyway, I'm hoping this corrects the problem, and we don't find out later that it IS the shift fork...should have the Jeepie back on Wednesday at the latest. Thanks for your suggestions in my other thread guys =]

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good news... Well not totally because of the cost involved, but it could be worse!

For that price are they just replacing the master cylinder or are they also replacing the slave as well??

I used to have an S10 pickup that had this problem, i replaced the master cylinder with a brand new one, went through the factory procedure to bench bleed it and then to bleed the system after installing and it worked good for about two days and then the slave cylinder puked its guts out as the increased pressure from the new master cylinder killed the well worn slave.

tazzsrenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know before you go and get that done try putting new fluide in the reservoir and bleed the system. up north here we need to do that almost once a year because of the cold. i found it makes a big difference, it reconditons some of the seals and makes everything smooth again after about a week or so. just my 2cents

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know before you go and get that done try putting new fluide in the reservoir and bleed the system. up north here we need to do that almost once a year because of the cold. i found it makes a big difference, it reconditons some of the seals and makes everything smooth again after about a week or so. just my 2cents

That's a good point!

If the system hasn't been checked and bled you never know for sure... I did that a few times on other vehicles with hydro clutches, an easy way is to disconnect the line at the slave cylinder and put it into an empty pop bottle, have someone pump the clutch peddle in and out slowly while you keep topping off the master cylinder, then your flushing all the crap out of the master and the line, sure you leave a bit of old fluid in the slave but not much.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with the Jeep is thankfully not the shift fork. Mechanic called me today and told me it was a problem with the clutch, the master cylinder I think he said, and it'll run me about $432.55 for parts + labor--lovely. Anyway, I'm hoping this corrects the problem, and we don't find out later that it IS the shift fork...should have the Jeepie back on Wednesday at the latest. Thanks for your suggestions in my other thread guys =]

I saw your KJ at All Tech Automotive today in Ballston Spa when I was there to deposit 10 quarts of oil from the 2 oil changes I did today. It was parked out front. I parked right behind your KJ and noticed the "It's a Stick" tire cover. First time I have ever seen anyone's KJ up here that is on this board. (except for the NE LOST Guys) It looks better in person than in your pics. Nice KJ.

Anyway, I wanted to say that that shop (All Tech Automotive) is the best one in the area and they will fix it right and their price, while not cheap, is as good or better that anywhere elce around. They will stand by their work and are honest and good. I was personal friends with Rick (RIP to Rick) and also know Mike and two of the tecs there. That's where I go when I can't or don't feel like doing something myself. That is the ONLY shop that will touch any of my vehicles when I can't do something or it's too cold out. You are in good hands there.

Dave

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Haha, soon as I read that the commercial came on tv.
You must be registered for see images

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I like it when a shop has integrity and does good work. Based on Dave's reference, and the fact that they diagnosed the clutch master without saying you need a whole new transmission, indicates honesty without wanting to overcharge. Sounds like those guys at All Tech are ok.
Hopefully the repair of the master does indeed fix your clutch issue. Look forward to hear Kj zGal's final outcome.

Jmark

Reaction score
I saw your KJ at All Tech Automotive today in Ballston Spa when I was there to deposit 10 quarts of oil from the 2 oil changes I did today. It was parked out front. I parked right behind your KJ and noticed the "It's a Stick" tire cover. First time I have ever seen anyone's KJ up here that is on this board. (except for the NE LOST Guys) It looks better in person than in your pics. Nice KJ.

Anyway, I wanted to say that that shop (All Tech Automotive) is the best one in the area and they will fix it right and their price, while not cheap, is as good or better that anywhere elce around. They will stand by their work and are honest and good. I was personal friends with Rick (RIP to Rick) and also know Mike and two of the tecs there. That's where I go when I can't or don't feel like doing something myself. That is the ONLY shop that will touch any of my vehicles when I can't do something or it's too cold out. You are in good hands there.

Dave

you guys in ballston spa? im in catskill

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
you guys in ballston spa? im in catskill

I am in Ballston Spa. She is 30 miles west of me. PM me if you want to go on a Toys for Tots run on 11/7/ 09 with the NE LOST guys so we don't sidetrack this thread.

Dave

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol Dave! Lucky you saw it when it wasn't covered in road grime--So thanks for the compliment! (Even though it's only a partial stick right now =P)

All Tech is indeed a good place, we've been going to them for years...although I still get their names mixed up to this day. And yes, they are replacing the slave as well--I just couldn't remember what it was called when I wrote the earlier post.

And actually, I'm in Amsterdam Jmark, but I used to live in Ballston Spa, hence why I go to a mechanic there xD

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heck if they are replacing the master and slave and bleeding the system for that price then not bad!

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got her back today, feels totally different--but in a good way!! I'm not used to the clutch engaging so far away from the floor...feels like I've let up on it almost completely and then it catches haha. Anyway, she's running good, and my mechanic showed me the broken pieces--apparently the reason the master failed was because water got in through the nice little PRE-MADE hole in the cover over the master...what the heck!? But the new one is opening-free, so no water can get in this time!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good deal.

On the road again...........as the song goes..

Dave

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in Ballston Spa. She is 30 miles west of me. PM me if you want to go on a Toys for Tots run on 11/7/ 09 with the NE LOST guys so we don't sidetrack this thread.

Dave

Good news that it's back up and running! I'm just waiting to have a clutch failure of some kind...so far so good.

Hey Dave, what is this Toys for Tots run? Is it in NY?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good news that it's back up and running! I'm just waiting to have a clutch failure of some kind...so far so good.

Hey Dave, what is this Toys for Tots run? Is it in NY?

Yes....all the info is in the Tower of Power - Toys for Tots thread in Northeast section. Anyone is welcome to go.

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score

that clutch stuff is such a piss off. has yours died on you yet? mine did about this time last year, at a stop light. cost $900 or so to fix that and replace the seal on teh slave cylinder.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Got her back today, feels totally different--but in a good way!! I'm not used to the clutch engaging so far away from the floor...feels like I've let up on it almost completely and then it catches haha. Anyway, she's running good, and my mechanic showed me the broken pieces--apparently the reason the master failed was because water got in through the nice little PRE-MADE hole in the cover over the master...what the heck!? But the new one is opening-free, so no water can get in this time!

Good deal :cool: