FM Radio Not Working

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Jay D, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Jay D

Jay D 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport

Hey guys! I'm new to this group and decided to make an account since I couldn't find a thread about my problem.

I have a 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport and the FM doesn't work properly on the stock radio but the AM works fine. I mostly use the FM radio to plug-in my Bluetooth transmitter that connects to my phone. The FM will play for a few minutes (around 5 minutes after a cold start) but after that, no sound comes out of the speaker. If I switch to AM it works fine, but if I go back to FM and after going through multiple radio stations no sound is coming out.

I've been thinking of getting a simple single-din radio or a double-din (if I can find a good deal) but I want to make sure that I can fix the problem with the stock radio first before buying an aftermarket. It wouldn't make sense for me to buy a new one, just to find out that it was a wiring/antenna/electrical problem.

Thanks again!

EDIT: Follow up question: Does anyone have any idea how to diagnose this problem?

Thanks again!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    LibertyTC likes this.
  2. LibertyTC

LibertyTC Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Welcome Jay. I'm not sure what's up or fried with your FM.
    IMHO it's not worth trying to fix the OEM Stereo. They were like 13 watts = weak.
    A new single din, high power Head unit is what I went for from Pioneer-super tuner3.
    It has so many features from Sat radio to blue tooth, microphone to answer calls, USB stick etc etc.
    Take a look here : https://www.crutchfield.ca/S-K7RWwZAy0K0/m_266150/Car-Stereos.html
    You can also browse the electronics section, lots of good info to be found !
    [​IMG]

3. Jay D

Thanks for the info! Will definitely take a look at the electronics section. What's that blue thing below the stereo? Looks interesting o_O

LibertyTC likes this.
  4. LibertyTC

Ya it was a cool Led "Moodlight" that I mounted onto the bezel. I dont think its available anymore. Led Accent Light type S ...
    I also have the matching Dual port accessories socket.
    [​IMG]
    Found the packaging photo for the blue moodlight. It's from 10 years ago !
    It's no longer available unfortunately.
    [​IMG]

5. Jay D

Thanks again!

Was wondering if you had any idea how to diagnose the FM problem?

Thanks again!

6. LibertyTC

Jay because your FM only works when cold, & once warmed up it no longer works, this points to 1 of 2 things:
    Typical Internal component failure or the AM/FM switching is bad. Your radio would need to get tested or sent off for repair.
    Once you pull the radio forward or remove it, there is a RBQ ?# on the top and you probably could find a working identical radio on ebay for $50 aprox?
    Overall the OEM radios only last so long as they got real hot and 17 years later... it may be best to just find a modern unit, with greatly improved sound & features.