****** fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Anybody change their own transmission fluid and filter? Is it something hard/messy to do? or is better just to bring it to the stealership.

I been thinking about doing it, but never did it before on any vehicle.

Thanks,
Bennett

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am curious as well, never done this either.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its not that hard, ive not done it on my kj, but ive done it to my bro's cherokee and our grand. Its kind of like changing the oil in the rear end. u take a bunch of bolts off, knock it loose with a rubber mallet and it falls and oil goes everywhere. lol jk. i usually leave 2 or 3 bolts loosely in so when it does break loose it dosent fall. then i slowly take the rest out leaving one in an end so i can slowly lower it by taking that last bolt out. After u get the pan off, i believe the libby has a filter, u change it and clean ur pan up really good. clean the magnet and all that, then put ur new gasket on. The gasket and filter come in a pack that u can get at any advance auto parts store, or autozone. Some ppl will put alittle rtv on before the gasket so that it stays in place and seals alittle better. bolt it on making sure the gasket is all lined up and crap and tighten all 1 million or so of ur bolts. The oil goes in through the dip stick if u didnt know, im not sure how much. i believe its 4 quarts or something like that????

2003KJ

Reaction score
What is yalls favorite ****** Fluid to add? I'm thinkin of stickin to Mopar come time for mine, just b/c this is my first Chrysler Vehicle and I'm following the book untill I get used to it.

My old Contour ****** was EASY to take apart. Ford ******'s don't require alot of effort to break apart cause of that cheapness factor (IMO). Only time I had to do it was when I put a new clutch in it (leave it to ford to put the clutch INSIDE the ******, therefore turning a 30 minute job into a 7 HOUR JOB!!!!)

Still remember the day I did that too. 2 years ago. Feb. 1st, the day the shuttle Columbia went down. In my friends shop with my car on the rack and in pieces and I heard it on NPR...or whatever talk station my friend was listening to.