Fluid Service Protocol: Changing Differential, ****** fluids

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

liberator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a formal protocol/instructions that dealers and service shops should use to change the fluids for the KJ:

front and rear diffs;
******?

I have the service manual but it doesn't really go into detail on fluids and servicing.

I am going to take it to a dealership since I don't have the skill set nor equipment to do the differential fluids but given my past experiences, the monkeys may assign a newbie to do the fluid change and I don't have the confidence to just have them wing it. When I last asked to have the ****** fluid changed at one dealership, they insisted that a half service would be sufficient $250 as it is too difficult to do a complete ****** service on a KJ?? (Aeh) ](*,) (Aeh) WTF?

So naturally I am nervous even to take to another dealership without proper instructions.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Doing the differentials is extremely simple, all you need are some basic hand tools, a tube of RTV, the proper gear oil, some time, and a 12 pack of the beer of your choice.

I was quoted $150 PER AXLE from my dealer for a differential fluid change. Here's the kicker, the rear axle takes the longest, as it's a conventional colid axle, and the cover has to come off. Changing the fluid in the front differential is like changing the engine oil. You have a fill plug, and a drain plug. Drain it out via the drain plug (after first taking off the fill plug), then reinstall drain plug, and fill er' up via the fill plug, and you're good to go!

A good write up can be found here, in our How To section

I changed mine around 30K, and the oil still looked good. I just did it for peace of mind, and that way if something did happen, there was clean fluid in there so that the dealer couldn't blame me for not changing it when scheduled. I have yet to do the ******, and i'm at 42K right now with no out of the ordinary issues. I really do need to do a fluid and filter change on the ******....just one of the many things that's on my to do list...

liberator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ, thanks for the info. I did read that how-to post and admittedly was aprehensive about tackling such a job as I don't even have jacks nor the space to try this. With the lack of confidence and stated difficultly level, I would feel better letting the dealership do this job (just in case they mess it up, I have some recourse (rather than if I screwed it up, I would be hooped). Where did you guys find the info to do this job or is it from owning 4x4's before. I was hoping to bring in the service instructions to the dealership to ensure they do the proper job.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Honestly, and don't take this the wrong way, a lot of it was common sense. I've owned all cars in my life, and this is my first 4x4, as well as my first automatic transmission....so I am still very much still learning. However, the Factory Service Manual (FSM) has a TON of helpful hints (as it's the same book the dealership techie's use).

As far as jack stands go, I don't have a decent set yet myself....but I do have friends in the mechanic biz, so I was able to use my buddy's shop and use his lift.

What year is your KJ? If you don't have a FSM, I might can hook you up with one...

liberator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KJ

I am not mechanically inclined.

I have a 2002 but I couldn't find details for fluid changes unless I am looking in the wrong place. Is that in your service manual?

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
liberator said:
With the lack of confidence and stated difficultly level, I would feel better letting the dealership do this job (just in case they mess it up.....
Understandable if you don't have the space and the right tools/equipment to do the job. One suggestion for any vehicle you may own... find an independant garage and use them instead of the stealership. Their rates will be lower and you will get better service. You will get to know the mechanic and get face time with him instead of a service writer at the dealer.

liberator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[quote="AZKJUnderstandable if you don't have the space and the right tools/equipment to do the job. One suggestion for any vehicle you may own... find an independant garage and use them instead of the stealership. Their rates will be lower and you will get better service. You will get to know the mechanic and get face time with him instead of a service writer at the dealer.[/quote]

Well said... I was hoping to even bring in the fluids to have them do the job but if I did, I figure this may discharge the shop from any liability if the diff leaks and I end up having to do major repairs. My confidence in the shops at times is even in question as they do all kinds of work and may never have even did a diff change on a KJ.

Heck, if I tried it, I probably end up stripping or overtightening the diff case cover ](*,) ](*,)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, its usually better to take the Jeep to a local Mechanic and get it serviced. Its usually cheaper and they will do a better job. O:)

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
liberator said:
Well said...

I was hoping to even bring in the fluids to have them do the job but if I did, I figure this may discharge the shop from any liability if the diff leaks and I end up having to do major repairs.

My confidence in the shops at times is even in question as they do all kinds of work and may never have even did a diff change on a KJ.
Thanks...

- There is nothing wrong with bringing your own fluids. Most garages buy their stuff in bulk and of a brand you may not want to use. My shop uses Quaker State. I prefer Mobil 1 Synthetic, so that's what I take with me when my vehicle goes in for an oil change. The same holds true for after market parts... filters, brake pads etc.

- As long as you use the proper fluids the owners manual calls for, the shop will be liable if they screw up.

- Basic car care is basically the same and applies to all vehicle regardless of make. Changing the fluids in the differential on the KJ is not rocket science and will be no problem for any reputable shop.

Just find a shop, build a relationship with the owner/manager and mechanic. Family and friends can point you in the right direction.....

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZKJ said:
liberator said:
With the lack of confidence and stated difficultly level, I would feel better letting the dealership do this job (just in case they mess it up.....
Understandable if you don't have the space and the right tools/equipment to do the job. One suggestion for any vehicle you may own... find an independant garage and use them instead of the stealership. Their rates will be lower and you will get better service. You will get to know the mechanic and get face time with him instead of a service writer at the dealer.

That's the best advice for anything you can't do yourself. Stay away from those "fast lube" places.

Dave

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.