first winter with kj, I got mayo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AutoXSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hit our coldest stretch of winter and found mayo in the oil filler lid. Good thing this forum exists. Lots of good info here to refer to. Pcv valve was slugged up mayo. It was new in sept, only 1k miles since then, so I cleaned it out and reinstalled. I carefully cleaned the filler neck and am hoping for better gas mileage with a working pcv.

I didnt think it could accumulate so fast. It wasn't there in late November. Unfortunately, my wife doesnt really drive that far, and when I drive it, I only go alittle more than 2miles to work. This kj has no time to warm up really. Gonna have to drive it harder, lol.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hit our coldest stretch of winter and found mayo in the oil filler lid. Good thing this forum exists. Lots of good info here to refer to. Pcv valve was slugged up mayo. It was new in sept, only 1k miles since then, so I cleaned it out and reinstalled. I carefully cleaned the filler neck and am hoping for better gas mileage with a working pcv.

I didnt think it could accumulate so fast. It wasn't there in late November. Unfortunately, my wife doesnt really drive that far, and when I drive it, I only go alittle more than 2miles to work. This kj has no time to warm up really. Gonna have to drive it harder, lol.

Oh heck ya, it'll build up in no time. I think a good synthetic seems to help mine too. I still get it a bit even with longer trips. You do know that baffle comes out for cleaning right? Easy way I've found to crudely check the PCV valve is open the filler when it's running and you can hear the air getting sucked into the PCV. Just touch your finger to the opening inside the filler neck and you'll know if it is open when it grabs your finger.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've never had that issue with mine before but then I tend to take longer trips and get mine up to temp for extended periods
I've seen quite a few that had that problem and all were driving them just a few miles one way to work etc and not getting up to temps
Best bet is to take it out and run it for 15-20 miles at least every week or two, should help

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the amount of cheese on my oil filler cap has been greatly reduced now that I'm not just heading 1 mile down the road to school. I now have a ~15 mile trip to work and it's not as bad. Doesn't seem to be hurting anything,

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Using Synthetic oil extremely reduces the build up. At least it did for me.
I put maybe 2000 miles on my jeep between oil changes (I change my oil every spring and fall) and I get a really really light coat of it on the cap and nothing on the spout catch.

My drives mostly consist of 10-15 miles round trips 2 or 3 times a week and the occasional drive to the store that's like 2-3 miles around trip

I been using Mobil 1 Full synth BTW

Last edited:

AutoXSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the kj was only driven a couple of miles back and forth with no real warm up. It never reached operating temp. I dont use synthetic and never had this issue until this cold temp stretch, 0-teens. I also never took it out to stretch its legs during the two week period either.

acvw74

Reaction score
I make a lot of short trips, so I covered the grill openings and it has helped a lot.

Members online

No members online now.