First Trip Coming Up-Stupid Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S3bird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In all honesty, if you can take the time and drive down to Badlands in Attica, IN (like Hoosier suggested)... they have such a HUGE array of terrain. Literally everything from mild-to-wild - that's where I usually suggest newbie wheelers to go. There are a lot of wide open areas... whereas Cliffs is very confined, always muddy, and just really easy to unintentionally make a wrong move.

I do like your idea of hopping in with someone else - at least that way you get to scope out the park before getting into a situation that will result in a bad, bad day.
I certainly would like to check out Badlands maybe this spring/summer. I know my son (11 years old) would love going with me. Just checking out the websites it looks to be more my speed. Anyway this trip to Cliffs is a quasi camping trip for the others but I just plan on driving down for the day and just going with the flow. If its too muddy (it's wet in my neck of the woods this morning) I'll figure something out.

Any good parks in Wisconsin as I'm only 20 minutes south of the state line? I've been meaning to do at least part of the T.W.A.T. trail via my motorcycle ('13 Husky TR 650 Terra) but it hasn't happened yet.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I certainly would like to check out Badlands maybe this spring/summer. I know my son (11 years old) would love going with me. Just checking out the websites it looks to be more my speed. Anyway this trip to Cliffs is a quasi camping trip for the others but I just plan on driving down for the day and just going with the flow. If its too muddy (it's wet in my neck of the woods this morning) I'll figure something out.

Any good parks in Wisconsin as I'm only 20 minutes south of the state line? I've been meaning to do at least part of the T.W.A.T. trail via my motorcycle ('13 Husky TR 650 Terra) but it hasn't happened yet.
There used to be a couple of places in NE WI, but I'm not sure if they still exist.

We want to do the Trans Wisconsin too... We did a short, southern segment of it a couple years ago... but I hear it's more fun the further north you go.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Apparently the **** runs though my area but I've never found it.

Badlands is a good time. We should plan a summer meet.

S3bird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Made it back alive!!!
I didn't see any other Liberties down there, mostly Wrangles, CJ's and older plenty of XJ Cherokee's. There were even some full sized trucks playing too mixed in with a bunch of quads.
Anyway I'm so glad I had an experienced off roader as my co-pilot, I would have never tried some of the hills and water crossings by myself. In our group I wheeled mostly with a young guy that had an '04 Wrangler with a modest lift, aggressive tires and a winch. I got stuck a couple of times and he was always able to quickly get me going.

I really under estimated my Liberties ability, in part as I've never been off roading before and most of the rigs were lifted and had huge tires. Simply dropping to 20 psi all around, pulling the airbag fuses, running in 4x4 low and turning off the traction control it became quite capable, even with all season tires. I took it easy as I didn't have skids but for sure the next time I wheel I will.

S3bird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah it was spitting snow the night before and was a balmy 27 when we started. It has that slippery arsed clay mud so prevalent in the Midwest but I still had a blast. There was just this one off camber hill that I was sure we were going to roll over and had a sphincter level 11, but we made it unscathed.

Called the wife when I was leaving and when I pulled into our driveway she had the grill going for supper :happy160:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Pro Tip: Use the IMG tags and we won't have to click to see the pictures. They are worth showing off! :waytogo:

You must be registered for see images

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Looks great! We have twin KJs.

Oh yeah you don't need to pull the air bag fuses. I've never heard of anyone doing that.

S3bird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great! We have twin KJs.

Oh yeah you don't need to pull the air bag fuses. I've never heard of anyone doing that.
Good to know about the fuses...just being extra careful

It's suppose to rain..again...tomorrow so I'll just leave it outside for a free car wash :shrug:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Glad you came away unscathed and had fun! Good deal! :)

I don't know where you are locally (?), but maybe we should get a midwest group together and head down to Badlands again. I'm WAAYYYY overdue for something like that.

S3bird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you came away unscathed and had fun! Good deal! :)

I don't know where you are locally (?), but maybe we should get a midwest group together and head down to Badlands again. I'm WAAYYYY overdue for something like that.
I'm in Freeport, basically a half hour west of Rockford....fly over country

That sounds like a fun idea

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I know where that is. I was born in Rockford, lived in Cherry Valley for a bit (and I'm still out that way now and then), and my brother and family are out in Durand.

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad fun was had without any issues. Now the upgrading will begin hahaha. Every time I am off road I think of something to upgrade/modify.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the successful run! If you don't plan on lifting the Jeep, I would highly suggest some more aggressive tires (ATs) for the next run you have!

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the successful run! If you don't plan on lifting the Jeep, I would highly suggest some more aggressive tires (ATs) for the next run you have!

He has been infected. It will not be long until he has a lift. lockers. bumpers. tires. lights. no money! LOL

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online