First post and completely lost! Cragar rims on stock tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96redformula

Reaction score
Thanks for the great community forum. I have been reading and researching for hours. I am looking to putting on Cragar Soft 8's and seem to be confused about something. It seems that most people using cragar's are lifted and all have the nicer tires. The new liberty is an 2004 and is going to remain fairly stock for the most part.

Now I am looking to put on Cragar's but want to keep the stock tires 235/70/r16. So would I be looking to getting 16x8 Cragar's 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern, and 5" backspacing? #-o

waldn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe an 8" rim is to wide for a 235/70
however I'm think I seen 16X7 cragars listed some where once
you may want to search for those

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
waldn said:
I believe an 8" rim is to wide for a 235/70
however I'm think I seen 16X7 cragars listed some where once
you may want to search for those

The 7" cragars have a backspacing to match the tire location of the 8" rims and they are deffinetly available on the same site as the the 8" rims listed in our other thread.

96redformula

Reaction score
They only have
16x7 with 4 backspace
16x8 with 5 backspace

I figured since stock is 5.5 the 16x8 is the closest. I read all of the threads concerning the topic already. Is it alright moving the backspacing by 1.5 inch though?

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are multiple people running the 16x8 5"BS wheel. Many people also run the Wrangler Rubicon 16x8 wheels as well, which also has a 5"BS.

I think you would not be safe with a 4"BS, and your stock. Just my opinion, not the expert though!

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both rims will put the tire in roughly the same location.

The think about it 7" rim + 4" BS / 8" rim +5" BS

The 7" rim is pushing the rim out 1 more inch to compensate for the width of the rim.

This is not necessary on the 8" rim (because it is 1" wider already) so a 5" BS is used.

Both of these rims will put your tire in almost the exact same position, so do not worry about the backsapcing because essentially they are the same. due to this similarity the rub or no-rub will depend entirely on the size of tires you use. I have the 8" rims under 265 tires with VERY LITTLE rub, and have no problem at full turning now. my stock rims practically kicked me in the balls when I tried to turn.

I believe this information is correct, can one of you uber-mechanics verify it?

96redformula

Reaction score
So if that is the case I will be buying the 16x7 with 4" backspacing. I called discount tire and they tried to sell me rims that were 16x7 with 3.5" backspacing and said that was what their computer listed for the jeep liberty in the ok range.

Tires are Goodyear SR-A 235/70/r16

Please if somebody could confirm that my Lower ball joints should be alright........

Thanks again all =D> and A couple of thumbs up's from you all with decide if I order or not.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The only person that can confirm the LBJs.... is you... using the testing method posted somewhere on the forum.

You could be one of three people:

1. The thousands of Liberty owners who haven't had to ever replace their ball joints, minus recall.

2. Part of the group which includes myself, having to replace a major suspension part at 24k ish miles (give or take 5k).

3. Part of the group which actually has a FAILURE. This is when the ball joints collapses and the Jeep falls to the ground, which usually or may require replacement of any or all of the following: Lower Ball Joint, Lower Control Arm, Tire, Wheel, Wheel Flare, Upper Control Arm, Wheel Frame, CV axles, Tie Rod End, or any other fricking part in that area, lol.

Here's to hoping you are at least.... 2!

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
96redformula said:
So if that is the case I will be buying the 16x7 with 4" backspacing. I called discount tire and they tried to sell me rims that were 16x7 with 3.5" backspacing and said that was what their computer listed for the jeep liberty in the ok range.

Please if somebody could confirm that my Lower ball joints should be alright........

Thanks again all =D> and A couple of thumbs up's from you all with decide if I order or not.

That would mean they will stick out a full two inches from the factory position, (and half an inch more than the 4" BS rim) I can't say if that would be a problem with rubbing or not, but I dont think that kind of BSing is really needed.
Did you ask the guys at DT if you could even get one with the 4" BS?

But then again, I do not know how any backspacing is going to act at stock ride height. I would say that if you dont really intend to lift or add bigger tire or anythign along those lines then you should try to stay as close to the factory BS as possible. Z
I.E. - If they can get a 7" in 5" BS you should get it.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
96redformula said:

Gosh, you would rub bad in the back when flexing. Do not get those rims, I wouldnt go over 4" BS with a 16x7in rim or a 16x8in rim with 5" BS. You would be throwing stuff everywhere with those things. Also, people say that a rim with 5" BS or 4" BS is harder on Lower Balljoints, its easier on them if you think about it and look at a stock rim. Its also easier on bearings.

96redformula

Reaction score
Oh wait I did not clarify myself right, sorry. I was not going to get the rims with the 3.5" backspacing, but just using it as an example as to what the tire shop said about the backspacing. I suppose that I can get the 16x7 CRAGAR rims and if they rub I will go ahead and do a lift.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
96redformula said:
Oh wait I did not clarify myself right, sorry. I was not going to get the rims with the 3.5" backspacing, but just using it as an example as to what the tire shop said about the backspacing. I suppose that I can get the 16x7 CRAGAR rims and if they rub I will go ahead and do a lift.

Thats a great way to justify a lift!