Extra Key - Stealership wants to charge me $200

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smarkham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I tried to do a search for "extra key" so people wouldn't have to post again but search says that one word is under 4 characters so it won't work.

So here goes my question. I"m really ADD and I know I'm going to be out and about and lose my keys at some point. I'll might as well accept it and prepare for it. So I wanted to keep an extra set so that when I call AAA and they open the door I'll have them inside. I called the F(&*&( stealership where I bought my jeep (2005 Liberty) and they said it would be 150 for the key plus 45 to program it. They'll probably charge me tax--so that's about $200.

I would like just a key w/o the electronic portion so I can start the jeep and get home where I'll keep the other "complete" key.

I took the key to a key copying place and they said they couldn't copy just the metal key portion.

Any suggestions? I really don't want to give that stealership any more of my money.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the grey headed key off ebay - about $20 shipped. Have the local hardware store cut it for $3 or so. Directions usually come with the key, but it's easy to program - You just need two working keys. I've done this.

nchorselover55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an extra key made at Lowe's that does not have the security chip. I then put the new key in a magnetic box under the Liberty. The key will not start the Liberty, but it opens the doors just fine.

I usually end up locking the key inside. This way I can get in, but someone finding the key can't drive off with the Liberty.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you tried going to walmart and getting a plane old key cut?

I know my key is different on my 04 but I still have the senry key. I had a plane key cut and keep it in my wallet. Its came in handy many times. :D

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It won't work on the 2005+. It'd unlock the doors, but that's about it. For the $25 it'd cost to get a real Sentry key it's worth it. Figure the Dealer wants $45 just to program it. If he maintains 2 good, working keys, he can always add another if one is lost.

Kevin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as you have 2 working keys, buy an uncut spare on eBay and get it cut at a locksmith. Cost me $20.44 for the key and $5 to get it cut. Programming is easy, its actually in the owner's manual for later models...

Attachments

• page_18.jpg
    page_18.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 14
  • page_19.jpg
    page_19.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 8

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an extra key made at Lowe's that does not have the security chip. I then put the new key in a magnetic box under the Liberty. The key will not start the Liberty, but it opens the doors just fine.

I usually end up locking the key inside. This way I can get in, but someone finding the key can't drive off with the Liberty.

I did the same thing! Except I have another complete set of keys hidden inside the Jeep.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am thinking that I am going to do the same. I am always afraid that I'll lock the keys in the Jeep out in the woods. I always roll a window down or leave the door open when I leave it running.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't see ebay here (websense blocks it at work), but as long as it says "2005-2007" liberty, and it has a grey head, then yes.

Programming is very easy if you have 2 working keys. Usually they will include instructions, and if they don't, the owners manual will tell you or we can list it out here.

indianrefining

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as you have 2 working keys, buy an uncut spare on eBay and get it cut at a locksmith. Cost me $20.44 for the key and $5 to get it cut. Programming is easy, its actually in the owner's manual for later models...

But make sure ALL of the numbers on the back match up or you could be in trouble. I found that out the hard way!

07Latitude

Reaction score
But make sure ALL of the numbers on the back match up or you could be in trouble. I found that out the hard way!

There are no numbers on the non-remote Sentry keys...

If you have an 05-07, all you need is the Sentry key with a "Tan" (looks gray, but is more tan than gray if you compare to the 04-earlier "Gray" sentry keys) head. It will also have an 'S' on the blade, pending you get a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep original, or a Strattec (original) key.

04-earlier Sentry Keys have a darker true-gray head on them, and no 'S' on the blade of the key. These are the same externally as the later keys, but the transponder chip inside is different and the two are NOT interchangeable.

If you want a remote key like factory, match the part numbers up. Though, just about any of the 4 button remotes (whether they're Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, etc) should work, pending the buttons look the same. The Grand Cherokees, Magnums, and others have larger buttons on the fob, and thus are a different part and, to my knowledge, aren't interchangeable. I don't see why the key itself can't be programmed as transponders between all 05-07 Chrysler products are identical with the exception of Mitsubishi-based products, but the remote is the difference and thus can cause complications.

Hope this clarifies all possible scenarios! :eek:

indianrefining

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want a remote key like factory, match the part numbers up. Though, just about any of the 4 button remotes (whether they're Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, etc) should work, pending the buttons look the same.

"... should work, ..." is the operative term, here. I know from personal experience that a difference in one or two digits in the numbers on the back can make all the difference, even though they may look alike on the front. That was my point.

Kevin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"... should work, ..." is the operative term, here. I know from personal experience that a difference in one or two digits in the numbers on the back can make all the difference, even though they may look alike on the front. That was my point.

Are you talking about the all-in-one keyfob or just a chipped key?

Arizona KJ Carlos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually keep a spare key that I had made at walmart for $3 in my wallet. If I leave the key inside the car then I can just open the door with my spare and start the car with the one inside. You could also hide the second set that the liberty came with under your rear seat so if you loose one, just use your spare from your wallet to get inside and use the one under your seat....that's my 2 cents.

07Latitude

Reaction score

What doesn't work? The remote fob or the key? Unless you didn't get a key from an 05 or newer Chrysler vehicle, any key will start the vehicle. One and only one transponder chip was used across the board (on non-Mitsubishi based vehicles, that is). So it'll program. The remote, yes, could lead to some issues. But there are only a handful used. I suppose the remote may not program even if it looks identical, again, depending on the year, but most of the remotes were the same across most vehicles, aside from button options, and whether you have the Grand-Cherokee (large button) type or the small button (Liberty) type.

I'd be interested to know what key you used and if you could clarify what part didn't work.