Extending breathers... Trans?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RenegadeK

Reaction score
so i was bored and decided to extend all my breathers while i had a chance. got the rear axle done, and found the transfer case one, but cannot see to find the Transmission one... i have the NV3550 manual transmission, feeling around the top of it i felt something that felt kind of like a thin metal loosely fitted cap... is this the trans breather? no hose attached to it? and how should i go about extending it?

RenegadeK

Reaction score
thought I would post this in case someone else had the same issue.
On my 03 liberty with the manual transmission (nv3550) there is no breather tube, just a cap on the top of the trans. Forward of the shifter, and towards the passenger side. I read elsewhere that someone was able to pry off the cap and just clamp on some 1/2 inch hose. I'm going to try this tomorrow first using the 5/16 I already bought if I can get it top stretch over.

There is a write up somewhere of another method used on a tj, but I'm gonna give this way a try first.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not positive if the manual transmission has a vent. I thought it was a sealed unit. If it does you should find it on the top of the transmission near the shifter. Maybe the only way to reach it is to remove the shifter and look down.

If you think about it, if you're in water deep enough to cover the transmission then you've got water coming in the doors too. Believe me, the door seals aren't perfect.

The stock locations for the vent tubes should be sufficient for most offroading unless you plan to add a snorkel and remove the carpets too.

RenegadeK

Reaction score
Yea I found a bunch done on tj's but didn't know if I had to drop the trans on the liberty or not, but I did get it to work.
It looks like the breather is too far forward to access from inside the vehicle. But using a screwdriver and a hammer I was able to pop the metal cap off, and I did have to switch to a 1/2 inch hose.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk