Expected gas mileage drop from Lift/ Big Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

enkeivette

Reaction score
Thinking about buying the 4 cyl 2.8L turbo diesel Liberty.

What sort of gas mileage should I expect if it's rated at 21 city/ 28 freeway, if I lift it with some 33s or 35s and install a brush guard? How much do you guys think it would drop?

Also, is the 21/ 28 figure realistic in stock form?

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No way you are fitting 33's or 35's first off. 31's are big for Libby's, 32's even more so. If you search around the forum there is a bunch of gas mileage threads. Seems the CRD folks get less of a decrease in mileage than us gasser folk. LOST has a bunch of CRD info as well if you can't find what you are looking for here.

enkeivette

Reaction score
33s... minimum. 35s more likely. Since you can only get about 3" out of the front end it looks like, without dumping money into the control arm suspension, I would be going solid axle. And lifting big. I can weld and fab, so not a prob :D

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
33s... minimum. 35s more likely. Since you can only get about 3" out of the front end it looks like, without dumping money into the control arm suspension, I would be going solid axle. And lifting big. I can weld and fab, so not a prob :D

Easy peasy, you'll be done by Sunday night. Maybe earlier if you stay off the sauce during the build.

enkeivette

Reaction score
Easy peasy, you'll be done by Sunday night. Maybe earlier if you stay off the sauce during the build.

Haha, doubt it. I'm a moonlight mechanic, I'd be lucky to finish it in 3 months.

And laughter is great motivation for me. Helped me get my procharged vette built.

enkeivette

Reaction score
No way you are fitting 33's or 35's first off. 31's are big for Libby's, 32's even more so. If you search around the forum there is a bunch of gas mileage threads. Seems the CRD folks get less of a decrease in mileage than us gasser folk. LOST has a bunch of CRD info as well if you can't find what you are looking for here.

Thanks for the LOST tip, found a gas mileage thread over there.

Moab

Reaction score
A 2" lift with a little trimming will run the 245 75 16 (31's)
pinch weld trimming

You've got to be up in the front about 3+ inches to consider
265 75 16's (32's) with some wheel well plastic cutting, pinch weld trimming and a set of UCA's wouldn't hurt.

If you want more tire than that you are going to have to spend alot of time and money and may want to consider a Wrangler....who said that:happy175:

I love the Liberty lifted but 265's (32's) which requires a decent amount of time, money, and reasonable effort - about as big as you can go and do any offroading
unless you get into some serious modifications.

The 32's look great and plenty big on the Libs but that's my worthless opinion.

Last edited:

enkeivette

Reaction score
My Vette is my toy, gets prob 10 mpg in the city, makes about 720 flywheel hp. Sub 20 on the freeway even with the 6 speed and a 14.5:1 air to fuel ratio. 6.6L with a supercharger doesn't sip fuel, any way you tune it.

I need a daily driver that can tow and gets good gas mileage. Since I drive about 250miles every weekend. If they made a CRD wrangler I'd be all over it. If you could install a diesel in an original gas engine car and register it in CA, I'd be standing over a wrangler with an engine hoist right now.

So my options are slim.

Last edited:

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Good Luck,please take lots of pictures and post them here. Check out TJKJ2002's build for some ideas towards SFA a Libby the high end way.Lot of good info in his posts/threads.

warp2diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Vette is my toy, gets prob 10 mpg in the city, makes about 720 flywheel hp. Sub 20 on the freeway even with the 6 speed and a 14.5:1 air to fuel ratio. 6.6L with a supercharger doesn't sip fuel, any way you tune it.

I need a daily driver that can tow and gets good gas mileage. Since I drive about 250miles every weekend. If they made a CRD wrangler I'd be all over it. If you could install a diesel in an original gas engine car and register it in CA, I'd be standing over a wrangler with an engine hoist right now.

So my options are slim.

Get an old enough Wrangler, you could do it, even in CA. There are a few dropping in 4 Cyl Cummins engines. As much as I would love to have a JK 4 door Wrangler CRD, can't do it in the rest of the US including CA.
You need to make this organization your friend, http://www.killcarb.org/index.html. They expose all the CARB/EPA regs that are based upon pure JUNK SCIENCE that make it impossible to have what you want. Like most deadly pathogens, exposure to air and light kills them.

En4cr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have some 245x16 on my non lifted 05 CRD. The mileage dropped about 3 mpg and the tires do rub on tight turns, but they were the only MTs that the dealer had

krazykarl454

Reaction score
id say SFA all the way man. ur goin to link it rite? bu Ca don't bust ur balls about that? man CA is the g@yest state ever. i stuck a 6bt/5-speed in and 4-linked the front of my chevy and all i had to do was go to the dmv n switch it to diesel on this form, i also bumped my gvwr and now i do a self inspection, took about 5 mins. just find a friend in another state where its cool to do the swap, and put it under his name. A big SAS liberty would be sweet, im gettin ready to by my wife a 06 CRD with 3"s n 245s on it, should still be alot better on fuel then her 00' XJ on 33s, even with the 4.10s it still onlyt gets 17ish on the highway on a good day. well good luck guys

Last edited: