EVIC Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
For those who have done the EVIC mod on their Sport KJs... I have the following questions:

What will I have to buy, wire, etc? (I have an '04)
How long should this take? (It's still cold, grr)
Do I have to go through the firewall for anything?
What wires did you guys tap through?\

I have read this page

http://jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=319 and DMAG / LibertyKJ's great writeup. Just a couple more questions.

For selfishness and for as little competition as possible, I am not posting the eBay link to the EVIC I'm going to bid on. I'll tell you this... it's an EVIC, not an OTIS, and is the right color.

I am a very selfish eBayer, and I've been known to nab products in the last minute.

Thanks, guys!!! \:D/ 8-[

roadrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
marlonjbt said:
For selfishness and for as little competition as possible, I am not posting the eBay link to the EVIC I'm going to bid on. \:D/ 8-[

A man after my own heart. Good luck bidding! =D>

About 50 feet of copper wire (makes 12' harness) will be plenty for slack where you need it. Electricians tape to wrap your harness. Talcom powder for easing your harness feed. Soldering equipment. Patience. Don't rush it; you don't have to do it in one day! You don't go through the firewall -- just under the dash. Your link should have location and wiring colors to tap into.

Tips: The 'A' piller screws are hex head on the '04; use a 1/4 " drive deep socket. Use a coat hangar to fish your harness. Be careful on your headliner cut-out not to clip your light wires.

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope you realize the limitations of installing a non '04 Liberty EVIC in your '04. If you do thats cool, if not you'd better read up if you want all the features.

I've not seen yet any auctions for ;04 lib evics myself

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
SRotblat said:
I hope you realize the limitations of installing a non '04 Liberty EVIC in your '04. If you do thats cool, if not you'd better read up if you want all the features.

I've not seen yet any auctions for ;04 lib evics myself

Oh yeah, a lack of the outside temperature. As of right now, if I knew the temperature, it would just make me depressed. There's still snow on the ground..... I don't want to see that. It's almost April!

So, you guys are following the writeup, I see? Cool then... I was wondering if you had found other techniques, like creating a harness that directly plugs into the BCM or something.

Any Pics from Liberty installations?

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Follow the writeup. It's good. Make sure when you get your EVIC that it comes with a pigtail for the EVIC itself. You already know about the temperature limitation. The only other thing you may need to know (depending upon what vehicle the unit is coming out of) is that the connectors for the lights on some GCs are different from the connectors in the KJ. The solution is simple, pop the lights out of your existing fixture and pop them into the evic. Then, viola! the connectors match.

Note that some combo of features (sunroof, etc) necessitate the harness that includes the EVIC wire/connector, so your KJ might have it in it already. Unfortunately, no one, to my knowledge, has found it. Because you have an 04, it might be a lil different than my 02 -- you might pop the light out and snoop around in there see if you have the connector. If you do it will be a breeze.

With the headliner, just take your time. Cut less than you think you'll ultimately need and trial-place it. It's easy to cut more, much harder to add ;)

Let us know when u get started on it, if you have any questions feel free. Also, if you find anything interesting (i.e. connector there) post that too!

Oh

marlonjbt said:
How long should this take? (It's still cold, grr)
I'd estimate 2 hours. You can make the harness ahead of time (4 wires, wrap the whole mess with electrical tape. If I had to do it again, I think I'd go with use ~20 gauge wire, I used bigger wire and it was completely unnecessary, and complicated things.

Later bro, and try & keep warm! (PS: we still have snow too)

-Blu

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Yay! I won! \:D/ It's an EVIC, with Homelink from an '00 Grand Cherokee. Sold by that LKC company. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

$45 shipped

It'll hold me until I can afford one from an '04 Lib.

Sending money order tomorrow...

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LKC rocks. I got mine from them. Good price! I dont think you could have done better, esp for a unit w/ homelink. Congrats.

-Blu

CoasterG

Reaction score
Congrats!

I abandoned my EVIC project for now, don't feel like cutting up the headliner and tapping the electrical while its still in warranty.

That being said I have 2 EVICs I'll sell in the near future that I got from LKC via ebay - one is a 01 Grand Cherokee EVIC with Homelink, second is a 02 or 03 Liberty EVIC with Homelink and harness. I'll get them up in the For Sale section once I can get them out of my garage and confirm the details.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CoasterG said:
That being said I have 2 EVICs I'll sell in the near future that I got from LKC via ebay - one is a 01 Grand Cherokee EVIC with Homelink

If you'd be willing to swap this for for my '00 GC (non-homelink) EVIC + some cash let me know. I'd only need the EVIC itself, not the trim. Really not a big deal for me, but a would-be-nice thing.

-Blu

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Just when I thought it was over, more snow today!!!! Looks like Feburary around here again. It's that bad. Grr.

Going to send off payment tomorrow. I was WAY TOO BUSY today... mom's birthday and all.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
YaY! \:D/

Your payment was received today. The item you purchased will arrive
within 5-10 business days. Tracking information will be emailed following
shipment. If you have any questions please respond to this email
address. Thank you for your business.

Payment Processing Center
LKQ Online

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
MY EVIC IS HERE!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Not fair. :( no wiring pigtail. :(

now what am I to do? ](*,)

at least the light connector fits. (somewhat) grr.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
marlonjbt said:

Did the auction specify that it came with one?? If it did, you need to get in touch with them and get it. Otherwise you're gonna be finding yourself looking in junkyards to try and find one. For the light connector, just switch out the lights once you get to that point, and the connectors will be fine. Theres no way to get the pigtail from Jeep without buying a $1k+ harness.

-Blu

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
BluPhant said:
marlonjbt said:

Did the auction specify that it came with one??
Nope. I saw somewhere on one of these boards... said that they bought one from LKQ and the pigtail came with it... figured I would too, but I'm not complaining.... I wasn't expecting it either. I Did get a $400 piece of equipment for $30.
BluPhant said:
Otherwise you're gonna be finding yourself looking in junkyards to try and find one.
Which is exactly what I will be doing!
BluPhant said:
For the light connector, just switch out the lights once you get to that point, and the connectors will be fine.
It works fine. Nice and snug... it just doesn't snap in. I won't worry about it.

CoasterG

Reaction score
I bought mine and got the pigtail but I did ask about getting it before I put my bid in.

If I ever get the time I'm going to sell it (its off a 2003 Liberty with Homelink) since I decided not to hack up my headliner and tap the wiring while my Liberty is still in warranty.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend swapping the lights out, but just my opinion. It's really easy to do, and will ensure that it's perfect.

-Blu

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
BluPhant said:
I'd recommend swapping the lights out, but just my opinion. It's really easy to do, and will ensure that it's perfect.

-Blu

I'll pass...

My next project maybe a light over the rear seats. ;) I don't want to jeopardize the integrity of the plastics. If it doesn't have a screw, I tend to... ehh... ruin it. #-o

Believe me, I will not have any problems with this light connector...

BUT this harness, putting it throught he headliner is beginning to piss me off!!!

EDIT: OK, never mind... it's going down the A pillar now. :) had to just about take apart the headliner tho... #-o

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Yay! \:D/ \:D/ It's in, and powers on perfectly! I didn't have to adjust a thing!

Everything seems to work except:

Passenger Door Open
Driver's Door Open
(Are those supposed to work?)
Glass Open (still shows in the odometer area though)
And Unlock on Exit, but I'm not sure about that one yet.

Temperature doesn't work, but that was a given. I knew that. No regrets though. (However, the first KJ EVIC '04 at a reasonable price is mine.) I wonder if the dealer can reprogram it?

Notes:

Fiberglass in the headliner *****. Cleaning it up is gonna bring teh suck. I did wear gloves, but it managed to get on my hands somehow. Maybe while I was fishing the wires around. A handwash sort of helped.

It's funny looking at it telling me my liftgate is open.

Success rules.

Now: Pics!

http://www.itsajeep.org/PhotoPost/showgallery.php/cat/15364