EVIC on the way

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rescu2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For anyone who hasn't done the EVIC mod, they are pretty cheap on Ebay now. I just got one for $45 delivered. It was an EVIC (Not OTIS) with the pigtail, Temp Sensor, Homelink, and Sunroof switch.

While I don't have a sunroof, an extra factory siwitch can ALWAYS come in handy... Hmmmm.. Now what will I do with that...

Rescu2000

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice, you got a very good deal. Got mine ~1yr ago for $70 shipped, w/o homelink/sunroof controls. I'm sure you'll find some use for the sunroof switch!

Let us know how it goes.

-Blu

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Congrats! Just a tip... make sure your utility knife is nice and sharp. Do not waste your time with scissors. Make it quick. The longer you mess around with the headliner, the more probability that you will start itching. Thank goodness you got a pigtail. While they're not hard to find... (any yard with a Jeep or Intrepid/Concorde should have one) most of the yards around here have a $25 minimum charge. ](*,) Make sure you have plenty of electrical tape. Use scotch tape to mark the wires down the line.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a utility knife as marlon suggested, and had no problems with fiberglass @ all. In fact, I didnt even think about it as being a problem.

For the harness, I just got 4 different colored wires, and printed out the how-to, and marked the colors on there. Wrapped the whole thing in (almost an entire roll of) electrical tape to cut back on noise, and it gave it a much more finished look, should anyone ever pull it apart.

One thing I would do differently is to use smaller gage wire. I think mine was like 16g, 18 or 20 would likely have been easier to work with when soldering. 16g is definately overkill for this.

-Blu

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
BluPhant said:
I used a utility knife as marlon suggested, and had no problems with fiberglass @ all. In fact, I didnt even think about it as being a problem.

For the harness, I just got 4 different colored wires, and printed out the how-to, and marked the colors on there. Wrapped the whole thing in (almost an entire roll of) electrical tape to cut back on noise, and it gave it a much more finished look, should anyone ever pull it apart.

One thing I would do differently is to use smaller gage wire. I think mine was like 16g, 18 or 20 would likely have been easier to work with when soldering. 16g is definately overkill for this.

-Blu

The wires appear to be 20 gauge. I used 18 gauge.

Rescu2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wiring

I plan on using speaker wire. I'll put a piece of tape on both ends of one set. This will allow me to tell all 4 wires apart from the ends, even after I wrap it all. I also thought about using Cat-5 cable. That would give me a few extra wires later, but I was concerned about the gauge of the wire in cat-5. I'll compare them...
I'm planning on connecting and running all of the wire tommorow. Then when the Evic comes in, I'll just have to cut the headliner and wire up the pigtail.
I'm already looking at some Homelink compatible home security systems.
As for the switch, I'm sure I'll find something to do with it. I'll probably tie it into the Car PC system I end up installing.

Another Mod I'm working on it subs under the seats. I know there is a factory option 6.5", but I want to put at least one eight under each seat. Maybe a 10". I realize that I'll probably have to use Kicker Solobarics for that, but that's OK. I have a nice Precision Power amp I can push those with. I'll probably make a fiberglass box for them, to optimize space.

One idea for the switch might be for air lockers. Do they use air switches, or electric switches? I can build a latching relay setup to turn the momentary contact switches into latching switches
Rescu2000

roadrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Harness

If your tape gets knocked off the ends, no problem: you can identify the wires with a continuity test if you have a multi-meter. Your idea to toss a couple of extra wires in the harness is a good one -- never know when some future project might require them! :-k

Rescu2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the EVIC in and it's installed. VERY easy to do. Great mod. Thanks to all the guys on here for the photos and diagrams. I didn't really understand what people were talking about when they said to pop the lights out, I thought they meant the whole lens and all. Once I got in there and saw it, it made sense. Quick and easy light swap. I love it.

One problem, the temp is showing -34 degrees F. Hmm. It's like 60 or 70 out. I may need a new sensor, this one may be trashed.

I think I have an idea for the sunroof switch. I think I'll make it pop the hatch open. There seems to be no button to pop the hatch, unless I'm missing something. That's a feature I have already missed from time to time. Anyone know off hand how to do this, or am I going to have to trace some diagrams down...
Thanks,
Rescu2000