EVIC issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed an EVIC yesterday, but can't get it to work properly.

2005 Liberty Sport. I do have the premium BCM. Installed EVIC 56010520AD (which came in 2005-2007 KJ's). When that one didn't work properly, I hooked up an 56010349AB (2003 KJ), which gave the exact same error messages.

I followed the instructions on this page: Installing an OTIS

Connected the yellow wire to the wire coming from the #2 spot on the OBDII connector, green wire to the #4 spot, and the red wire to the #16 spot. I used an add-a-fuse to tap the white/blue wire into the #13 fuse location.

The compass works, and the programmable options work. I don't have TPMS, so no readings for tire pressure.
Average MPG, Miles to Service, Miles to Empty, and Trip Miles do not work, it only displays dashes.
I do not have an ambient temperature sensor yet, so obviously that one's not working either.

About every minute this message shows up on the display: 'NOT RECEIVING J1850 MSGS'. I can hit any button and it'll go away, a minute later it pops up again.
From what I found using google, that usually indicates problems with the PCI Bus. However, I have no other symptoms indicating any issues with the PCI Bus.

I used the EVIC's self-diagnostic function (by holding C/T & Reset, then turning the ignition to 'On'), and it says 'Failed Self-Test'.
That would seem to indicate the module itself is broken. However, the other EVIC I hooked up did the exact same thing. Same issues, same error messages. I have a hard time believing that both units are defect, and defect in the exact same way.

I have re-checked all the splices, they all look fine. The add-a-fuse connection is working properly. The connector that plugs into the EVIC looks fine.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on here? :(

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hooked up an OTIS, same result. The compass is the only thing that works, and it fails the self-test. The minor upside of the OTIS is that because it has less functionality, it doesn't display the J1850 error message. So I can at least just have it display the compass or turn off the display, without having that error message pop up all the time like on the EVIC.

Three consoles, all different models, and all having the same issues... Something is making all these modules think that they're defect, but what? :favorites68:

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wiring. Something is wrong or chafed or grounded...

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a complete newbie when it comes to doing electrical stuff. Does grounded in this situation mean that the ground wire is touching something it's not supposed to be touching?

No chafe marks anywhere on the wires.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or you have something crossed or otherwise miswired. You need to trace out everything.

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'll just re-do all the wiring sometime next week, with new wire. Thanks for the advice!

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's working! As I was re-doing all the wiring, I figured out where I screwed up. I feel kinda stupid now haha.

While selecting the wires behind the OBDII connector to splice into (the #2,4, and 16 wires), I counted the positions on the back of the connector (where the wires enter). In the wiring diagram you can't see whether they're showing the front or back of the connector. Now I suddenly noticed the minuscule numbers above each opening on the front side of the actual connector.

Coincidentally even by counting on the wrong side, the wire in the incorrect #4 position was a green wire, and the one in the incorrect #16 position was red, just like those in the actual #4 and 16 positions.
There was no yellow wire (the color has completely faded), so I identified that one based on its #2 position alone.

If I hadn't noticed those tiny numbers on the connector, I'd probably never have figured this out.