ESP and traction control disabling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even though my Liberty is an 06 2wd, I still like to take it out for a little offroading every once in a while but when I'm going through mud or sand it seems like the traction control makes me get stuck, cause it cuts the throttle and prevents me from powering through, even though I push the esp off button. How can I totally disable the traction control?

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Marlon_JBT said:
06Liberty said:
I don't think you can.....but if there is a way, I'd like to know too!
Pull the ABS fuse.

Xazillon. \:D/

Just remember that you wont have Antilock Brakes either. Kinda obvious I suppose but you cant disable the ESP without affecting ABS by just pulling the fuse.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mattjeep said:
Even though my Liberty is an 06 2wd, I still like to take it out for a little offroading every once in a while but when I'm going through mud or sand it seems like the traction control makes me get stuck, cause it cuts the throttle and prevents me from powering through, even though I push the esp off button. How can I totally disable the traction control?

In the WK's you can hold the bottom down for 5 seconds to completely disable it.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Jeger said:
jeepjeepster said:
Marlon_JBT said:
06Liberty said:
I don't think you can.....but if there is a way, I'd like to know too!
Pull the ABS fuse.

Xazillon. \:D/

Just remember that you wont have Antilock Brakes either. Kinda obvious I suppose but you cant disable the ESP without affecting ABS by just pulling the fuse.
Yup, because *all* of those systems are controlled through the ABS system.

mattjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I'll have to try what Eddo suggested with the esp button first then if that doesn't work than I'll pull the fuse out and if any cluster lights come on then i'll have to take the bulbs out.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally if it was me I would wire a switch into that location of the fuse box with it's own inline fuse and turn it on and off at the touch of a switch....but that's just me.

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, is it correct to think that you don't want ABS on an offroad vehicle? I noticed (I think) that the Rubicons don't have ABS. My '02 KJ Ltd 4x4 doesn't have ABS either. Is this "normal"?

jpm

mattjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adding a switch would be pretty good idea. Personally ABS ***** when your offroading cause if you have to stop quickly, you don't. It won't let your tires dig in the dirt and stop you quicker.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
ABS also ***** in snow... With ice, it is a beautiful thing, and the traction control helps along, but snow... ahh, forget it, I HATE IT ALL.

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
ABS also ***** in snow... With ice, it is a beautiful thing, and the traction control helps along, but snow... ahh, forget it, I HATE IT ALL.

The only time I dont like ABS is when you are just trying to come to a complete stop. Like in a parking lot or easing up to a stop sign, and you just wish the brakes would clamp down instead of pulsing. I find that it helps to shift into neutral, when traction is this low you dont want your rear tires pushing your fronts. I think it is worse with the CRD because it pulls hard even at an idle.

Seanpr123

Reaction score
I like the electronic switch idea. Can anybody link me to what would be needed?

I haven't had the fuse in there since the beginning of winter (except when driving long distances)