Error codes / check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AtlanticLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I know it's on here somewhere, but I'll be dammed if I can find it.

I've got a check engine light on now. Anyone know where the instructions are for checking the code and seeing what's wrong?

Thanks!

AtlanticLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup. That's what I was looking for! Right in front of my face too!

(of course it doesn't help I just got home from a work party and I can't see straight)

Thanks!

AtlanticLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dnm45227 said:
http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=325

Try this thread.

UPDATE!

I ran down to the local AutoZone and they check the code for me because neither one of the two methods worked on my 03.

The code is 153: Oxygen Sensor response too slow.

Anyone know what this means in English???

2003KJ

Reaction score
The oxygen sensor helps control the fuel air mixture to the engine so that it runs properly. If it's responding too slow, meaning the computer isn't recieving a signal from it when it should be, your engine isn't running right. Possibly running richer than it should be for a longer period of time. Noticed any decrease in performance or more importantly, fuel milage?

As for the location, if I'm not mistaken, I believe the KJ has two. One is on the exhaust pipe, right behind the right front tire. Go out and turn the wheel all the way to the left, then go to your right tire and look at the part of the exhaust pipe you can see. You'll see what appears to be a spark plug looking thingy coming out with a wire running up towards the engine. That is an o2 sensor. Thats atleast one that I know of, and like i said, I believe there is another one. Could be mistaken on that. I'll go out and look later when it cools off.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.