Enigne knocking/ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry I missed your thread when it started, but hope everything works out for you in the best way. :cheers:

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish mine was just the tensioners and such but my knock is back and down from the timing set. I definitely have a loud chatter from the chains but this knock sounds like a bad bearing. Sounds like the #6 area bottom. I do have an exhaust leak but not that major. Time for me to do some exploratory surgery before I throw parts at it. Not overly surprised and got three years out of it after my overheat and gasket failure. nervous.gif

Still no guarantee that that's all that went kaput.
I should have had the KJ back today, but he called me this morning to say that due to a miscommunication with the parts guy at the Jeep dealership, the rebuild kit they ordered did not come with everything they need. So, now it's pushed back to Monday:whymewhyme:

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I should have had the KJ back today, but he called me this morning to say that due to a miscommunication with the parts guy at the Jeep dealership, the rebuild kit they ordered did not come with everything they need. So, now it's pushed back to Monday:whymewhyme:

At least the are trying to make sure all the parts they need are there. Waiting is difficult I know.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score

I'm hoping you get good news on Monday. Keep us posted.

I'm not expecting to be happy with what I find. I'm going to start fiddling with mine tomorrow. I didn't drive it today but yesterday it was rather quiet with just the tensioner/chain chatter. The knock was almost silent and it was pretty cold, but still think it's just a matter of time now. :sad72:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Don I hope all is well and that nothing further is wrong.
I look forward to your latest report card!

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up the KJ today, took it out fro a quick drive, all seems A OK.

Timing chain kit, secondary tensioners, new thermostat, gaskets o-rings and all the little stuff.
They also replaced both valve cover gaskets, which I just did a few months back.

"Jeep Fund" is back to $0. So I probably won't see the Lift or LSD in the near future.

It's nice to have it back

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Timing chain kit, secondary tensioners, new thermostat, gaskets o-rings and all the little stuff.
They also replaced both valve cover gaskets, which I just did a few months back.

Glad it turned out well for you. I'm still trying to figure mine out. I crawled all around under it over the weekend and the noise really seems like top-end. I think the knock is actually from the top near the back by #6. Too much echo in my garage and to much loud music in my youth. :rocking:

I definitely need some timing set help. Wicked chain chatter. Guess the chains will be okay but the tensioners are probably shot. Overall I may get away with just the heads. Might as well pull them and see what they look like.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that the KJ is back a running fine, I have what may be a stupid question.

Would it be a good idea to do another oil change fairly quickly now?

I guess I figure since they put all those new parts into it, and were digging around in the engine it might be a good idea. Is it cheap insurance, or am I overthinking it?

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
I'd have to say it can't hurt to change it. Better safe than sorry.

I'll be pulling my heads this weekend. No choice now as I've got a slow leak I found this week. Noticed a rapid drop in coolant and lots of foam in the PCV tube even after a two hour drive. No short trips in the cold weather causing this foam. This is the real deal. Finally let go after over three years post overheat and the band-aid fix.