Engine turns off when stopping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My KJ started to idle violently or just turn off whenever I stop in traffic/stop/light. I re-start the engine and drive - all is good. Only happens when I stop, and sudden rpm drops below 400-500, doesn't happen all the time - just rarely in city driving but I've noticed it happens more frequently on steep roads (going up or down hill) - don't know if it has something to do with it.

It's a 4wd 2003 gas 3.7 automatic sport KJ.

What's the best way to diagnose and treat this problem before it becomes more serious?

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually sounds like the torque converter is causing the problem. It isn't going into "stall mode" properly - kind of like not depressing the clutch at a stop sign in a manual transmission vehicle.

Others may have different ideas about the cause when they chime in...

Bob

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it should idle below 1000 RPM anyway. I think mine idles around 600-700, unless the AC is on.

Could be a bunch of things. Does it do it if you shift into Neutral? If not, that would point to a possible torque converter problem or transmission issue. A simple fluid flush may fix it, if it's gotten gummed up.

Other than that, check the simple things like plugs, also consider pulling/cleaning/replacing the throttle position sensor. It's pretty inexpensive and can cause stalling if the computer isn't getting accurate throttle positions.