Engine Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WestAussieKJ

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I am a new member from Australia. Great forum lots of great info.
I have a 2002 Cherokee which is Liberty in USA which has 140000 km on it. I am in the process of removing the engine to investigate an engine knock which I think by the sound of it is a big end.
My questions are at these KMs is it worth getting a full engine rebuild kit including timing chains, oil pump and water pump or just bearings pistons/rings.
Is it worth replacing the valves and lifters as I have read that some engine's have dropped valves
Are the sets from Domestic Gasket or Mizumo Auto good quality.
Thanks for any info
Cheers
Scott

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're into it that deep, you might as well replace/repair/refurbish anything you can afford to...that way you will get another 140,000-250,000 miles out of it assuming the block is strong....good luck and post pics of the rebuild....

WestAussieKJ

Reaction score
Got the engine apart today found no1 bearing had spun. Crank not so good will have to get it ground. Pretty easy to spot as soon as oil pan was off as the con rod big end was black instead of brown like all the others

WestAussieKJ

Reaction score
Got the engine back in today after rebuild with new crankshaft and bearings .Engine fired straight up and ran sweet without even any valve noise . All seems OK so far happy days