Engine oil analysis results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WesChapman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 120k miles, I was curious about the engine condition. The first 14k miles, my Jeep was an Enterprise rental. From 14k to 53k, it was my wifes daily driver and was serviced at Chevron Oil Changers. From 53k to present, the Jeep has been my daily driver. I used the cheap Fram oil & air filters until about 106k when it was suggested they are not good filters. I must say, I'm pleased with the analysis results.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
By all means an oil analysis is very helpful. For my own peace of mind and a more accurate base result, I would like to see a test done on new/unused regular brand of oil that you use first, and then the oil analysis of the used oil.
Even though I use Mobil one synthetic, I go by the color/ feel of oil off the dipstick for interval changes, which I feel is necessary by 4-6000 miles.
A compression test of the motor will add to peace of mind as the larger picture of engine condition though.

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you stay on the schedule you can use any oil (as long as it is the right weight), and any filter. No need to go crazy on the expensive stuff. Go Walmart get you a 5qt thing of oil, get your filter of choice (I prefer Wix). Save the money on having a place do it and do it yourself. Stay on the schedule suggested by Jeep. No need to test it, and the long millage oil. Just stay in the lines and you will be ok, no worry about oil failure.

As for air filters. High flow lets more crap in the engine, decreasing the life of your engine and oil. The high flows such as K&N and Amsoil Racing let alot of crap in and cost $$$.. Yes more filtration causes the engine to work a bit harder but its filtered :) The only ding I saw on Fram airfilter is on the one they tested was poorly designed with its back support plate not allowing good flow but the jeep/Dodge ones I seen are as good as others such as OEM Dodge or the Wix.

Last edited:

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've looked into oil analysis and I think it's more about knowing what's going on than guaranteeing the survival of your engine. I am considering changing to amsoil (except that it seems there is no way to get it here, anyone wanna make some money and ship me oil?) but I am definitely going to be doing oil analysis. I think stuff like that can teach us a lot, and it's fun! Or at least I think it would be fun, I'm waiting on my next oil change so I can do an analysis on the generic oil I'm taking out of Mr. Darcy.

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First let me say this.. Amsoil is no better and/or no worse than any other major bran oil.

Now.. Lets do some role playing. Lets say you use Amsoil oil.. Lets say you have all your receipts. Lets say you recorded everything such as millage and date when you did the changes. Lets say you did the test to know status of your oil. Everything is text book for records..
Lets say your engine fails. Lets say you go to Jeep and they say, um it failed due to your oil. So you contact Amsoil. They said send us a sample. They do their test, and they tell you your oil didnt cause the failure. Now you go back at Jeep. You can see the tenis matchin unfolding? Now lets just say Jeep ask after reviewing your MX records, "Did you follow the MX schedule that your owners manual said?".. So there you go.
My parents were in litigation with Toyota about a car that had issues since new for 3 years before finnally settling out of court for cost of vehicle and laywer fees. So good luck trying to negotiate between two companies pointing the finger at each other.

ephantmon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my oil analysis done twice, once when I purchased it at 32k and again at 75k. I notice that yours has the same readout as mine: normal readings for everything but high for sodium. Did the written comments shed any light on that?

WesChapman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've looked into oil analysis and I think it's more about knowing what's going on than guaranteeing the survival of your engine. I am considering changing to amsoil (except that it seems there is no way to get it here, anyone wanna make some money and ship me oil?) but I am definitely going to be doing oil analysis. I think stuff like that can teach us a lot, and it's fun! Or at least I think it would be fun, I'm waiting on my next oil change so I can do an analysis on the generic oil I'm taking out of Mr. Darcy.

You've hit the nail on head. I wanted to know what shape the engine was in now. Considering I ran the evil Fram filters for nearly half the engine's life, the analysis results indicate no harm was done. I was worried about that, especially knowing I need to dump about $2000 in repairs, preventative maintenance and consumables. If the engine was showing excessive wear with indications of probable issue in the near future, I would hold off rebuilding the rear axle, buying tires and so on.

WesChapman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my oil analysis done twice, once when I purchased it at 32k and again at 75k. I notice that yours has the same readout as mine: normal readings for everything but high for sodium. Did the written comments shed any light on that?

Nothing about the sodium in the comments.
Maybe I eat to many french fries while driving....

Latest posts

Members online