engine noise - 2002 3.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The alternator and a.c. spin great, no play. The power steering is harder to tell because it wants to pump fluid when you spin it...the ps pump was replaced by me about 6 months ago. I think I got a reman unit from oreilly. The harmonic balancer is solid (can grab it and pull or shake any direction and it moves the whole jeep)
So they all seem normal. No noises or chunkyness when you turn them...

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cut a notch at the bottom of the shroud and you'll be good.
best mod I ever did.

I did this. Best modification I have ever done. Details on this to come later.

here is a how to on doing this mod. in case anyone in the future is looking to do it.
easy.
worth it.
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/hd-fan-shroud-mod-quick-removal-59988/#post685072

Last edited:

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More endless information. Noise is there with or without the clutch fan. Noise is there after replacing the tensioner and both of its idler pulleys (gates brand) I can't seem to pinpoint it to any other pulley or device. Power steering, alternator, ac, balancer, water pump.
Any culprits more likely than another? The alternator I suspect has been replaced by the PO. The pulley has marks on it from being messed with. And it is denso which I don't think would be factory is that correct?

Alternator, can be pretty noisy. So can a water pump.

Saying denso most likely is oem, usually rebuilders/remanufactures will paint it and put their sticker on it, but the denso numbers should be visible some place on the unit.

When I swapped out our 3.7, I put a new alternator and water pump, same compressor, idler pulley, and power steering pump the noise was greatly reduced from the belt drive area.

But I'd test with a stethoscope while running, alt and compressor are right on top, even power steering(?) are accessible.
Unless it is very bad turning by hand may not cause the sound.

Not sure what your sound is like, IMO alternator and compressor are the more likely to be noisy.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Btw might have missed this did you try running the engine briefly with out the belt ?
Can't do it for very long, as long as the engine is cool it should be fine for a few min.

If the sound is not there you've eliminated everything in the belt drive as the source.

The other noise I thought of is compressor engaging. Ours in on a 2006 commander and pretty noisy for a few seconds then quiets down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas, no noise without the belt, that is why I am down to pulleys in that system. The noise occurs with or without the a.c. engaged

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea nothing to do with the compressor turning on and off. Yes ran it without the clutch fan on the jeep. Same sounds.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. What a odd sound . Put head phones on too listen. It really sounds deeper then drive belt and accessories. And it only makes this sound when running with the belt on? I'd almost want to check the other side of it and see if the flex plate and torque converter bolts are ok. I'd be surprised if this was say the water pump.

Almost like something clunking on the under carriage or in the motor.
I'm thinking stuff like catalytic converter . Hard lines banging maybe, it doesn't sound in rhythm with the motor, more like a vibration. It is like it drops some Morris code then everything is normal for 10 seconds then it comes back. wouldn't suspect alternator or compressor first lets see what someone more knowledgeable has to say.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is very strange isnt it, but yes nothing with the serpentine belt disconnected.
it comes and it goes, doesnt seem dependent on load, speed, etc.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did it do this before the power steering pump was replaced?

Btw very clean engine bay. Everything looks good so it's hard for me to trust a gut instinct on how something has worn. It looks like the 2012 engine I put in everything but my ac compressor looking the business.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, nothing like this before the power steering pump was replaced. I am wondering about it more now...it is a reman unit with lifetime warranty, but not a fun one to replace...but I wonder if that is it?

Thanks on the engine bay too. Things are more pleasant to work on when clean. Its amazing what a spray down with simple green or 409 and a rinse will do. I do this with each oil change.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to be sure, no noise without the belt right? Sounds like a bad ps pump. It may be something you can't see or feel, but I think that is your issue

2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L with brand new engine ;)