Engine Hesitates on an 06' manual trans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kc7jlm

Reaction score
I have a 06' w/ manual trans. I have been having problems when starting off at low rpm's in 1st and 2nd with sometimes a serious hesitation. Almost feels like the traction control system is limiting power for some reason. I have to let off the throttle and then reapply slowly to correct problem. The dealer says nothing is wrong.... Anyone else have this issue??

Erzebet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hesitation '06 stick

Yes, I too have a problem. Mostly first and second gears. Sometimes ESP light comes on sometimes not....intermittent, annoying and can be extremely dangerous. Purchased truck new 11/06, only 6K on it. Dealer acknowledged problem in March - said waiting for software upgrade from DC. In June, I addressed the issue again during oil change. Dealer now says "can't duplicate the problem, no TSBs" - so I guess tough luck for me! All this and two blown window regulators to boot.....part on back order for 1 month! At this point I am sorry I did not buy an Xterra!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone elce posted about this problem on either an 06 or 07 somewhere. Not sure now. They ended up trading it for one with the A/T. Are the 06 and 07 models "drive by wire"? Maby that has something to do with it?

Check allpar.com for TSB's. There might be one if it is a common problem.

Dave

I might have seen the threads on this over on L O S T

Last edited:

Erzebet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hesitation on '06 Stick

Yes - there are numerous posts about this on the LOST site. I corresponded with one gentleman that did get his issue resolved after hounding the dealer. If I recall correctly, it took 10 visits to the dealer, 2 new computers and new wheel sensors. He also stated that the issue still occurs occasionally, but it is much better. No doubt in my mind that the ESP system is engaging when it is not supposed to, thus causing the "hesitation" (or choking out as I lovingly refer to it). Mine is an '06 model - was not aware of the issue in '07s.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, You guys both have 06 models. Maby it was confined to them?

Pester the dealer then as you said.

I hope you can get this sorted out and fixed.

Dave

kc7jlm

Reaction score
I will keep pestering the dealer. I have taken it to 2 different ones. Both said the same thing, there are no codes and they can't duplicate it. I seems to happen at the worst times. Like when I pull out in traffic and need to get going in a hurry. Sometimes the ESP light comes on, but mostly not. I am going to print as many of these threads as I can find and take them to the dealer with me. Show them I am not the only one.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will keep pestering the dealer. I have taken it to 2 different ones. Both said the same thing, there are no codes and they can't duplicate it. I seems to happen at the worst times. Like when I pull out in traffic and need to get going in a hurry. Sometimes the ESP light comes on, but mostly not. I am going to print as many of these threads as I can find and take them to the dealer with me. Show them I am not the only one.

Sounds like a good idea. Also sounds like the ESP is inteerfering with something.

Do the 06 models also have the "drive by wire" throttle control or did they start that in 07 MY. The reason I am wondering is, maby that has something to do with it?? And I don't recall hearing about a similar problem with the A/T model KJ's.

Does the ESP have a on-off control? (some vehicles do) Just thinking that if it does, you could try shuting it off while you are shifting and see what happens as an experiment. Course you should then turn it back on. It would be a PIA but you could try it just to see if it has any affect. Maby narrow the problem down.

Dave