Engine Dies on highway - 1/4 tank left. :-(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beetlemn73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2006 Liberty diesel with 48,000 miles. I have noticed an engine stumble since about 20K, but not this bad. The stumble occurs on a hard acceleration. Well now what happens is while going up a long slight incline over 1 mile long or over a road that has chatter... small frost heaves....NH travel, the engine will start to sputter. I have used cruise and no cruise and I get the same. Sometimes slowing down will "bring it back", but lately, it will spurter to the point the engine quits. So I pull over and try to start and nothing. Then I thought of something....the primer. I go out and give her 5 or so pumps, go back inside and she starts right up. I head to my nearest diesel fill, fill the tank and off I go like nothing happened. This time I checked and I filled with 14.7 gals. I have 5 gal of fuel left. So my guage is ok. I get no "Check Engine" light. It does have a funny odor when I get out an lift the hood. Would have been nice maybe to have an EGT guage? I've changed the air filter. Fuel filter changed a year ago. If its the filter, why a full tank ok and 5 gals not?
Need some help here. Thanks

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a delivery problem,change the fuel filter,check the filter head is not leaking air into the system,could also involve the supply pump.

Beetlemn73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a delivery problem,change the fuel filter,check the filter head is not leaking air into the system,could also involve the supply pump.

I will replace the filter and check the filter head.

If the filter head is allowing air into the system, would I see a visible leakage around that area? And the supply pump you are referring to must be in the tank.

Thanks for the info.

Beetlemn73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'06 has no lift pump...so when you have the slightest leak in the fuel supply line (probably it's the OEM filterhead) you suck air into the system and your engine dies.

Many thanks for all the info/links. I ordered a filter today. I would almost bet I need a filter head too. I did not know the tank had no pump. Whatever happened to the pressurized loop that you see in many Gassers. Especially with a CRD. Oh well, that's what aftermarket is for. Thanks guys. I know my projects now.

Gary

Beetlemn73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer is going to replace mine. I showed them the bulletin. They had to look it up. They only service 6 or 7 CRD's up here. I just have to pay for the labor, $112.00 It was going to cost me a bit more to buy the parts and install it. On another note, I like what I read about the GDE Engine tune programs. Right now, I get ~30MPG on the highway in the Summer. Be cool to get more and the nice changes they program in.

flman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer is going to replace mine. I showed them the bulletin. They had to look it up. They only service 6 or 7 CRD's up here. I just have to pay for the labor, $112.00 It was going to cost me a bit more to buy the parts and install it. On another note, I like what I read about the GDE Engine tune programs. Right now, I get ~30MPG on the highway in the Summer. Be cool to get more and the nice changes they program in.

Get the tune, you will love it. Every thing you hate about the Jeep will be forgotten.

LiBdiesel

Reaction score
fuel delivery

I had a similar problem this weekend, started moved 2 feet and died, and found that the fuel filter was barely hand tight. I replaced with a new one and noticed that I while priming that I was leaking fuel out of my fuel heater plug. I had it disconnected while priming. It does not seem to leak after I plugged it in but who know for how long. Is there a better fuel head available?

Beetlemn73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need to fix fuel supply issue first

Get the tune, you will love it. Every thing you hate about the Jeep will be forgotten.

I had my Fuel filter head replaced by the dealer. The old one was leaking as I previously posted. I thought the problem was fixed. I should say, the leak at the plug is, but I still suck air from somewhere. Now, it has to be from the engine compartment back. I was on the same stretch of road where I died a few weeks ago. GOT ME again. I was just below 1/4 tank and the uphill load with the 'chatter bumps-frost heaves' just kill it. Fortunately, there is a fuel station of the next exit. I filled up with 10 gallons and made the rest of the trip...55miles. Next investigation is the fuel tank fittings, at the top of the tank. I do notice when I do a complete fuel fill(wait for the pump click), I get about 1/4 cup of overflow. Not sure if that would be normal. So, I'm going to keep the tank @ 1/2 + until it warms up to look. I know I will love the tune.

Beetlemn73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
External pump won't cure air coming in tank hose connection

With a lift pump you will make that CRD bullit proof, it's a real shame Chrysler cut so many corners (cheapskates...beancounters) on the '05+. The '02-'04 does have a lift pump and a better filter unit OEM..

I found this on another forum. Have you heard anything about this fix? This on seems "cleaner" to do, but I realize it requires a tank drop. Adding the external pump does not. I did read to drain the tank, a pump was put in up at the filter head and the fellow said LOTS of air came through as he was draining. I must have a leak in a hose at the top of the tank. Adding an external pump will not fix the problem in that situation.

"
DCJ thoughtfully provided the relay, fuse, wiring, and lift pump control logic in the KJ CRD CP3 ECM for an auxilliary remote-mounted in-tank lift pump - they just fergot to install the pump!

No problemo, dudes and dudettes!

'05-'06 Dodge Cummins trucks do have an in-tank lift pump for their CP3 CRD system, and the fuel module is a direct interchange with the KJ CRD fuel module - size, shape, color, fuel guage sender, fuel lines, electrical connector - all identical but for the included pump - and it fits!

Note: show'n'tell in 30days, kiddies!

Install the Dodge fuel module, replace the KJ CRD rear harness with the same year KJ V6 harness, and yer good to go, with 9psi of smooth runnin' fuel pressure outta the fuel manager head to the CP3 IP, just like Cummins - and 800,000 Dodge trucks can't all be wrong, eh?

56050284AB '05 KJ V6 rear harness

56047848AB '06 KJ V6 rear harness

5143160AA '05-'06 Dodge Fuel Module

Try it - you'll like it!
"

journeyjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mitchell south dakota from may through oct every y
Can't be any help on the air in the fuel line, but the over flow is normal. I too had it happen, had the dealer change the filler neck on the jeep, there was a small tube off the neck that had a bell shape at the end. Was told it would hold only so much fuel, and after over filling a couple of times, it would force it out on the ground. I stopped topping off, after the pump clicked off, and it has only once done that since.:)