Engine and brake light flash for split second

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

copenhagen6

Reaction score
This morning on my way to work, my engine light would flash on for a split second then go off, then my brake light did the same thing. Both were flashing randomly. They both quit flashing after about 5 minutes and drove on in for another 30 minutes without problem. The jeep did not stutter or stall or do anything out of the ordinary.
Any ideas ?

jerbacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago, except it was the high beams light. I posted, but didn't really get any answers. (Aeh)

copenhagen6

Reaction score
Not alot of replies. I guess that noone has this problem. Mine flashes so quickly that you could miss it, or think that your mind was playing tricks on you.

06LibertySSE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both of those things just happened to me on my 06. Immediately took it to the dealer and at first they could find nothing wrong and had no explanation as to why it was doing it... ](*,) If they couldnt duplicate the problem while it was at the dealer, there was no way they could begin to fix it... :-k This wasn't a good enough answer for me, so I went out driving and attached a video camera to my dash and low and behold the check engine, hi beam, O/D off AND brake light illuminated for split seconds at all different times! I took the video back to them and this sparked some new interested... The shop foreman said that chrysler has a way to discharge the BCM (different than reading and erasing codes) without discharging the battery or other computers... It was a about an hour wait and when I picked it up everything was FIXED \:D/!! You guys should ask your dealers about it and see if they can do the same procedure for you! It sure worked for me! [-o<

Enos316

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a problem where my hazard lights would illuminate on my dash when I hit my brakes, turned out it was a loose grounding wire.