Electrical Issue!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ashtona

Reaction score
I posted this in another forum as well and figured I would hit up some other Jeep forums.

I have an '06 Liberty. I bought it brand new with 0 miles on it. It has been fine ever since till recently. Now, for whatever reason, the gascap light comes on, the OD light, the Trans Temp light and the check engine all "flicker" on and off realy quick. Sometimes this is accompanied by an audible ding and the RPM needle spikes real quick (Note: the engine however does not rev with it). Then another interesting issue was I was turning, had my turn signal on and after it clicked off, the front interior lights came on and then shut off.

This does not however effect the functioning of the vehicle. It runs fine, or seems to and it never stalls. I had a tune up done recently and keep up with oil changes. The battery also tested fine.

Three dealerships say they have never heard of such a thing which seems odd considering that people seem to have similar issues but can never seem to get them resolved.

Any ideas?

Robocody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a BCM issue to me... Try holding the trip reset button down with the jeep turned off. Keep it held down, and turn the key to the on position, without starting it... and the gauges will go into a self-test mode. IF that works, then you know it isn't the gauges.

bugnout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing you can try is disconnecting the battery and then hold the battery leads together for a couple of minutes and/or leave the battery disconnected overnight.

06 gasser or CRD? Some CRD's had an issue with wire loom damage from rubbing on the fuel filter bracket.

Bikeflyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my mother in-law's cavalier had that happen and it was a bad chassis ground to the computer.