Dual Batteries

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gatorator

Reaction score
Has anybody come up with a good place to mount a second battery in a CRD?

Gatorator

Reaction score
Lots of places, but why do you want one?

Why wouldn't you? As for me, a winch, extra lights and a fridge. I do a lot of camping and fishing alone and need all the dependability I can get.

It's no fun to be 100 miles from help and have a problem. (yes, I do have a Sat. phone.) O:)

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gatorator said:
Lots of places, but why do you want one?

Why wouldn't you? As for me, a winch, extra lights and a fridge. I do a lot of camping and fishing alone and need all the dependability I can get.

It's no fun to be 100 miles from help and have a problem. (yes, I do have a Sat. phone.) O:)

Thats a good reason.
Cargo space is a number one great place to conceal a battery.

You could also VERY EASILY put a set of high A/hr 6V batteries under your front seats. (series then parallel of course)

These for example:
http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/red_top_battery.asp (6V model)
These may be a little on the high $ side but with optima you get what you pay for.
The 6V model is 10"x3.5"x7.8" I cant check right now but I assume that is well within the size contraints of the seats.

If the thought of having live batteries under your feet makes you a bit queasy, then you might consider tucking them behind the rear panels on either side of your cargo area. I haven't poked around in there much for space but I reckon theres a bit of space behind them. Of course unless you are going to be super picky about looks, then I would still jsut recommend that you get a battery box and a yellow-top and put it in the back.

Heres and example of an easily removable setup that you can use to take out the battery for daily driving if you'd like.
You must be registered for see images attach

You could very easily plug in and go and the wiring would be ridiculously easy.

But hey thats just my thoughts, I am anxious to see waht others will come up with because a 2nd battery is in my very near future.

Gatorator

Reaction score
Thanks for the idea. It could work if I screw a clamp do the floor for the box. I would prefer it in the engine and might have room if I replace the stock air filter.

That set up is similiar to the mount in my ute trailer.

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
look at under your passenger seat. that is where i put mine. i have pics as soon as my friend gets them to me.

http://www.svrbatteries.com/battery_page.php?bid=25

that's the battery i have i believe. it fits nicely under the passenger seat. just take out the seat and then unbolt the outer rail and reinstall just the rail. put the battery in place and then put the chair back on top to see the best placement for the battery to give best clearance.

then install some brackets. 2 screwed into the rail in front of and behind the battery and then another screwed into the frame through the carpeting near the center console. run some 4-guage wire from the battery in the engine compartment through the firewall. then route the wire through a notch by the wires on the steering column behind the dash. You should then be able to bring it over to the middle of the dash and use a wire tie to get it to stay in place. then snake the wire under the radio console and also under the center console over to the passenger side. then run the wire under the center console down the passenger side and then under the carpeting and make it come out the same hole that the harness for the air bag sensor comes out of.

attach to fuse then to the battery.(you should also use a fuse at the other battery under the hood too.)sand down the area of the frame where the rear bolt closest to the center console goes. ground your battery there. replace the seat and then tighten all the bolts. you will have to reattach the seat to the rail you took off with the rail already bolted in the jeep. it is easy so dont worry. 3 bolts only.

what im doing next is getting some material to cover the battery and painting the brackets black. it looks very clean and the battery stays in place. i know this is a quick and sloppy how to. if my friend ever gets me the pics then i will post them and a better how to. oh and be sure to use some electrical tape and cover all metal areas of the battery. Wouldnt want someone to reach under there and be shocked as to what they might find.

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey the battery install has been complete for some time now. All three batteries are running fine. i had to use some rope and wrapped it around the battery in the cargo area and tie to one of those safety seat latches to prevent it from sliding around. I never got the pics from my friend. I am planning on doing some stuff to the interior this spring so when i have the seats out i will take some new pics. Do you have any specific questions on the setup that i can answer until then?

Gatorator

Reaction score
You have two batt. under the seats or one under a seat and one in the cargo area?

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 batteries total. 1 under the hood. 1 deep cycle drycell under the passenger seat, and another deep cycle dry cell in the cargo area. its so nice to have my PS2, stereo with 2 12" subs and 720 watt amp, and other stuff powered by my power inverter all going at once with the Jeep not running for hours on end. I have them run in parallel not series. They charge each other that way.

ed.

Reaction score
look at under your passenger seat. that is where i put mine. i have pics as soon as my friend gets them to me.

http://www.svrbatteries.com/battery_page.php?bid=25

that's the battery i have i believe. it fits nicely under the passenger seat. just take out the seat and then unbolt the outer rail and reinstall just the rail. put the battery in place and then put the chair back on top to see the best placement for the battery to give best clearance.

then install some brackets. 2 screwed into the rail in front of and behind the battery and then another screwed into the frame through the carpeting near the center console. run some 4-guage wire from the battery in the engine compartment through the firewall. then route the wire through a notch by the wires on the steering column behind the dash. You should then be able to bring it over to the middle of the dash and use a wire tie to get it to stay in place. then snake the wire under the radio console and also under the center console over to the passenger side. then run the wire under the center console down the passenger side and then under the carpeting and make it come out the same hole that the harness for the air bag sensor comes out of.

attach to fuse then to the battery.(you should also use a fuse at the other battery under the hood too.)sand down the area of the frame where the rear bolt closest to the center console goes. ground your battery there. replace the seat and then tighten all the bolts. you will have to reattach the seat to the rail you took off with the rail already bolted in the jeep. it is easy so dont worry. 3 bolts only.

what im doing next is getting some material to cover the battery and painting the brackets black. it looks very clean and the battery stays in place. i know this is a quick and sloppy how to. if my friend ever gets me the pics then i will post them and a better how to. oh and be sure to use some electrical tape and cover all metal areas of the battery. Wouldnt want someone to reach under there and be shocked as to what they might find.
Do you have any photo's of the setup under your seat?

Members online

No members online now.