dropped a grand at dealership on brake and transfer case job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday :-s
Went in for an oil change and vibrations on the steering wheel while braking. He checked the brakes said about %10 on front about %20 on rear pads left and rotors are warped.
I also told him about the leak at transfer case Differential and he said it was normal but the transfer case Differential fluid and oil needs to be flushed and changed, and should have been done by now. It was 900 + oilchange + tax. $999

*edit, it was differential, not transfer case, sorry.

You must be registered for see images

:-#

Now;

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
So how much do you think this job would have been done for?

4 new brake pads
4 new rotors
labor, 1 yr warranty
transfer case job whatever it was
oil change
general inspection

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
So how much do you think this job would have been done for?

4 new brake pads
4 new rotors
labor, 1 yr warranty
transfer case job whatever it was
oil change
general inspection
Well, when I saw the original post I looked on auto zone's web site. New pads and rotors for all four wheels was $215 (and that was the most expensive pads there were, not the basic semi-metallics); labor usually runs around $80/hr, and in a shop the brakes are maybe an hour job. T-case job, no clue on what it is or cost. Oil change at most any place $20-$30, add around $10 if you go synthetic and they'll do a general inspection at the same time. Did they say which rotor(s) were warped, if only one or two you could have had the rest machined for less.
I'm going to replace my front pads next paycheck, the rotors should be fine but I'll get 'em machined just to make a nice surface for the new pads.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have hit on the main reason I do most of my own work. you could have done this all yourself for under $400. By the way the leaky thing in your pic is your rear differential. Your transfer case is that silver thing in the background with the star like design on it.

2003KJ

Reaction score
I know others have expressed their shock in the price, and I dont want to make you feel bad, but jesus christ you got shafted, and bad!

Pads and rotors from Napa cost me about $175 (with a discount, the $200-215 is about right). As for the transfer case, thats got to be about as easy as changing the motor oil. There are two plugs located on the t-case. One is a drain plug (the lower one) and the other is a fill plug (the higher one). FIRST take the FILL PLUG off that way you know you can get it off (same rule applies to changing motor oil....I almost learned that the hard way a long time ago). Once this is off, take the drain plug off. While you're waiting for the old ATF (which is what is used in the t-cases) to drain out, go grab a beer or some lunch (or both!). Once the draining is done put the drain plug back on nice and tight, and fill it back up untill it can't hold any more.

YOU'RE DONE!!! And for a hell of alot cheaper than what the dealer charged, and YOU KNOW it has been done, and not appeared to look like it's been done.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am very sorry hyedipin, but the stealership has stuck again. That is way overpriced and I feel very sorry for ya, and i am by no means kidding around. :-s

I believe it may be a better idea to ask around alittle before letting the STEALERSHIP steal your money. I bet they were laughing as you drove away. [-(

For 1k, you could of bought the franken lift and had a good start on a set of tires.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I even forgot about replacing my tires... god.. :(

I am going back next week and asking them to replace my sway bar bushing while they are at it.. and align wheels, since jeep pulls to the left more now.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About $200 in parts on the brakes like the others said. Most brake or tire shops would have probably charged you around $400/$450 but on your own you could have done it for a little over $200 and a couple of hours. Disks are particularly easy.

Sorry!

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
I am going back next week and asking them to replace my sway bar bushing while they are at it.. and align wheels, since jeep pulls to the left more now.
If you have other dealerships in the area you might call around and see what their prices are before you go back to that particular one. Depending on what you are having done you might also check at your local tire dealer to see if they can do it for less.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Corwyyn said:
hyedipin said:
If you have other dealerships in the area you might call around and see what their prices are before you go back to that particular one. Depending on what you are having done you might also check at your local tire dealer to see if they can do it for less.

In the future, if you're not much of the handy man type, you might wanna find a local mechanic that you could trust to do the work for you. Believe it or not they still exist.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, they must exist, but it is so hard to find a really good one in NY, especially when you are in the city. Last time I took my liberty in for an oil change he used the wrong oil grade, not the end of the world, but not many mechanics are experienced with jeeps. They are used to getting in old chevys or nissans, hondas, etc.. Maybe after the 36k is up, then I will consider using them.

After reading that normally local shop job would cost around $500, i am thinking stealership robbed me within reasonable amount of about double the regular job price..

Here is the breakdown...

DIFFERENTIAL SERVICE
5 LUBE 80W140 = 63.20
1 82300234 SEALER = 9.35
1 CLEANER - THROTTLE BODY = 4.70
2 LUBERICANT = 17.00
NON MOTOR OIL DISPOSAL =1.75
LABOR = 100.00 ................................
TOTAL: 196.00

BRAKES AND RESURFACE
1 V2013882 PAD KIT-REAR DISK BRAKE = 49.95
2 52128411AB ROTOR = 150.00
LABOR = 150.00 ................................
TOTAL : 349.95

BRAKES AND RESURFACE
1 VKJ08247 BRAKE PKG-FRONT = 199.95
LABOR = 150 ................................

CARE PLUS OIL/FILTER CHANGE
OIL FILTER = 6.40
6 QT 10W30 = 9.60
LABOR = 7.85 ................................
TOTAL : 23.85

>> GRAND TOTAL 919.75 + TAX = 999.08

squirrellydw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow

I know at Vavoline they said they would change both the diffs for $50 each and if I got them both done they would give me a 10% or 15% discount.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
BRAKES AND RESURFACE
1 V2013882 PAD KIT-REAR DISK BRAKE = 49.95
2 52128411AB ROTOR = 150.00
LABOR = 150.00 ................................

BRAKES AND RESURFACE
1 VKJ08247 BRAKE PKG-FRONT = 199.95
LABOR = 150 ................................
I think this is where you got hit the hardest - the rotors aftermarket are 30% of what they charged you, and two hours labor each for the front and rear seems excessive, especially if your just taking off the tires and replacing the pads and rotors. I can maybe see it on the front since they machined the rotors Seems like the most reasonable prices were on the oil change, but I guess thats just to get people into the dealership 8-[

2003KJ

Reaction score
The Differential's are about as easy as the t-case to change. Hardest part is getting the cover off.

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
I even forgot about replacing my tires... god.. :(

You're a real glutton for punishment. ](*,)

sprsonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i feel bad for people that get taken advantage of from dealerships. its sad that some people make all of the dealerships look bad. chrysler has a value line for brakes. they are the same parts that you pay the high dollar for, just boxed differently. for example-04 kj front pads normally retail for 130-140.00, value lines go for 55.00 and rotors go for 114.00 each. the value kit combo sells for 149.99 for 2 (factory) front rotors, pads and hardware. all you have to do is ask if there is a cheaper option. and all dealerships can get aftermarket parts to save more money for the customer too. sorry about your experience at the stealership. and i know they offer these kits for xj-wj-kj-zj. almost possitive there is some for all makes of D/C vehicles. and it looks like your oil leaks at the rear differential are coming from your fill plug and your rear brake junction block. neither are hard repairs. they are normal leaks, but can be repaired. atleast i would have at my place of employment.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a question,

brakes seem like they require harder push.

What is the cause of that? Is there a resistance somewhere that needed to be set up or the distance somewhere increased for some reason. Before all it needed was a light touch on the pedal, now I need to apply more pressure on the brakes. I would think the new pads would require less push, in the contrary.. :-k Is it because of rotors or pads?

Straight6Jeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It it the type of brake pad material. Brake pads require a certain amount of heat to grab. Typically, the "high-performace" brake pads, or ones designed for severe use, suchy as towing or racing, require more heat to get to the grab point. This is so they will have a decent service life. The increased force you feel is a result of more heat being needed to get to that grab point.