DRL Wiring Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary Croft

Reaction score
I have added a pair of Day Light Running lights to my 2002 KJ Sport - found a set on ebay that fitted within the 'vents' where the Mopar Fog Lights could go in the front bumper - look really good actually!!

Then I needed to wire in the DRL Controller so they switched off when the side lights were turned on to comply with the legal requirements here in the UK.

I got a controller/loom on ebay (I know, I know!!), wired it up as per the very limited diagram:

+ to the ACC wire on the back of the ignition switch and the - to an earth stud on the chassis - both checked and both good.

Two yellow to vehicle side lights, and red/black to DRL's.

There is a grey wire that states it should be fitted to the 'width lamp' (?)

As far as I am aware, UK/European cars aren't fitted with them? Only imports?

The issue I have is that the DRL's work fine, they come on when the car is started, however, only one goes out when the side lights are turned on.

I've tried the grey disconnected, connected to the side light and to the headlamp, but nothing changes - both DRL's come on with the vehicle running, but only one goes out when the side lights are switched on.

Anyone got any ideas, or fitted DRL's and wired the up successfully??

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have added a pair of Day Light Running lights to my 2002 KJ Sport - found a set on ebay that fitted within the 'vents' where the Mopar Fog Lights could go in the front bumper - look really good actually!!

Then I needed to wire in the DRL Controller so they switched off when the side lights were turned on to comply with the legal requirements here in the UK.

I got a controller/loom on ebay (I know, I know!!), wired it up as per the very limited diagram:

+ to the ACC wire on the back of the ignition switch and the - to an earth stud on the chassis - both checked and both good.

Two yellow to vehicle side lights, and red/black to DRL's.

There is a grey wire that states it should be fitted to the 'width lamp' (?)

As far as I am aware, UK/European cars aren't fitted with them? Only imports?

The issue I have is that the DRL's work fine, they come on when the car is started, however, only one goes out when the side lights are turned on.

I've tried the grey disconnected, connected to the side light and to the headlamp, but nothing changes - both DRL's come on with the vehicle running, but only one goes out when the side lights are switched on.

Anyone got any ideas, or fitted DRL's and wired the up successfully??

I have no idea how your aftermarket controller works.

However maybe you could bypass the problem by disconnecting the "problem" DRL and connect it in parrallel to the "good" DRL....then the two should work together...assuming the circuitry can handle the load of the two lamps in parrallel!

Gary Croft

Reaction score
Thanks Bill, actually I had that thought yesterday too, so I tried it - after all the controller 'disconnects' power and it is fused separately anyway, so worse can the only thing that could have happened was that it blew the controllers fuse.

In the end, it didn't and it works perfectly!! And above all, legally!!!

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bill, actually I had that thought yesterday too, so I tried it - after all the controller 'disconnects' power and it is fused separately anyway, so worse can the only thing that could have happened was that it blew the controllers fuse.

In the end, it didn't and it works perfectly!! And above all, legally!!!

How bout a photo? Curious how they look, anything I've seen for sale here (US) looks crappy.

Gary Croft

Reaction score
gary-croft-albums-my-jeep-picture5045-a.jpg

Gary Croft

Reaction score
I tried connecting to the headlamps, but didn't make any difference - I suspect a fault in the DRL controller - but it continues to work fine feeding off the 'good' side.