driveing my 06 kj cross country:-)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zone zero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well im leaveing New england for cali, on monday the 24th Im planing to go through colorado and to moab, vagas then down to san Diego. is there any thing you guy's would recomend stoping too see on the way? Im a gun nut and a jeeper till I die, my kj is stock and theres not realy a budget to stop and wheel. but when I get to san Diego Ill be doing tires and a lift Id like to meet up with some fellow heepers out there, and check out some trail runs...
Ive got 10 years of wheeling and wrenching and breaking 11 or more jeeps , this is the first mall crawler Ive had but id like to see what it can do!!! keep me posted.

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you said colorado and utah... i'm guessing you are planning on taking i70 through... very pretty place... head south on highway 191 (i think, don't quote me, don't have my map with me), about 90 miles south is Moab... Also there are some fun looking little trails along i70 past that highway. I spoke to a highway patrolman out there, said you can camp pretty much anywhere since it's all BLM land. If you were going to go i70 to i15 and head south.... skip it... take hiway 89 (i think) from the richland utah area, and follow that down past the national parks, then pop out on i-15 down near St.George utah. That route isn't a whole lot longer, but is tons more interesting. in Nv at exit 75 you can get off of i15, head through the valley of fire, and down to lake mead, then head towards needles, drop down aroun i40, follow it into cali, then take a back highway that heads down to imperial sand dunes to try your lib on the dunes, then you can drop onto i10 and take that into LA area and pick up i15 again to get down to san diego... This is a trip I have wanted to do for a long time anyway... just my suggestions of scenic routes with some possible wheeling options

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^This. I have been to most of these areas he is talking about and linking them together that way is what I would do if I was traveling through. All except the last part. After hitting the dunes in Glamis it is a straight shot pretty much to San Diego. No point going way outta the way through LA. Instead I would hit up the Salton Sea (since it would be right there anyway and is definitely worth the stop) and head through the Anza Borrega State Forrest on Highway 78 till you get near SD; it is a beautiful area through there.

How much time are you planning to make it across the country?

Last edited:

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
def go through colorado my brother in law says it's really cool. Have fun in Vegas I can't wait to go there.

And also make sure the oil in your KJ is fairly new. I'm sure your already on top of that I just wanted to throw that out there.

zone zero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks

thanks for the info! Im thinking Moab is one place i will be going too on the way. I just swapped all my fluids for full synthic's got AAA plus and made sure my extended warrenty is valid anywhere in the us. Im planing a 5-7 day trip give or take a fiew days , my brother in law flew out today to drive back with me. Ill be checking out the dunes in Glamis and we're stoping in bolder we have friends there , ill post pics along the way, too I just hope my
I-phones going to work along the drive lol.

if any of the ohio guys are aroud post up I love to meet up with some fellow heepers.

and its good to know about the camping thing thamks for that info Il lbe doing that for sure!

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
def go through colorado my brother in law says it's really cool. Have fun in Vegas I can't wait to go there.

And also make sure the oil in your KJ is fairly new. I'm sure your already on top of that I just wanted to throw that out there.

What they said. Colorado is gorgeous up in the mountain passes. I'd give yourself two days in Vegas if possible. Make sure you book ahead too. The prices of rooms on the strip fluctuate a lot depending on the weekend (I've seen the same room be $120 one weekend and $400 the next)

zone zero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
trip update

so this was a mental trip to say the least , just after we left we found out that we had to be in san diego by Thursday , my brother in laws father got sick . so we left boston at 1030 monday morning we hammered down on the libby and made it to moab by Wednesday morning around 8 am, stayed over night there just to sleep and eat then blasted out again and into san deigo we got in late last night i have no idea what time.
all in all im not too happy with the trip, i will be going back to moab and Colorado. i will say this before we left boston I filled my tires up to 45 psi, topped off the tank and we averaged 400 miles to a tank at 75-80 mph most of the way, the worst gas tank we got was in utah and that was just a hair over 300mpg i dont know if thats great millage but that jeep did everything i asked it to do and more. i think ill be keeping this one for awhile ... now i just need a lift and new tires to go back to moab lol

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a hair over 300mpg.... wow! i only get in the 20's.... be carefull of government secret agents coming to check you out... don't need more people getting brain anurisms like the guy that invented a car that ran on water... lol

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Colorado, Colorado Springs area: Garden of the Gods, Pikes Peak, U.S. Air Force Academy.
About 50 miles southwest, Cripple Creek.
Further south Messa Verde National Park
If you go through Utah/Arizona: Monument Valley,
I like the "Four corners" Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico.
Been there many times and am planning a trip this September/October.

Oh, and if you happen to go further south, Carlsbad Caverns National Park.

Those are just off the top of my head!

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the "Four corners" Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico.

By "I like the 'Four corners'", are you implying the little Navajo tourist trap that you spend 8 bucks and get to stand on some lame pedastal, or the general area? 'Cuz the tourist trap is in the middle of nowhere and not worth stoping there unless it's on the way. I have made that mistake and now will warn others of how pointless it is. Total waste of time.

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I left Phoenix yesterday bound for Seattle via the Grand Canyon. My trip meter is at 445 miles and Im still above half a tank.

Gotta love them CRD's.:D

Last edited:

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah but do you have man tires and a lot of extra weight and are you going 75-80?

Ive got some nice Firestone Detination LE's.

Im full of gear, and Im driving 60 MPH. Im never in a hurry.

Ill take the MPG over the MPH every time baby. Why throw money AWAY when you dont have to?

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys can jest all you want. My 2001 VW JETTA gets 62MPG on the highway, and my CRD KJ gets 34+ MPG. You gasser guys can throw your money away all you want. Im smarter than that......:D

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
Yeah my neighbor has the same Jetta. He loves it. Personally I'm not to concerned about gas mileage, its all a tax write off. My vehicles pay for themselves about 3 times over a year anyway. But no disrespect to your CRD! To each his own. As long as its a KJ!

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
You guys can jest all you want. My 2001 VW JETTA gets 62MPG on the highway, and my CRD KJ gets 34+ MPG. You gasser guys can throw your money away all you want. Im smarter than that......:D

ThunderbirdJunkie's $600 (total investment) 1994 Toyota Paseo gets 36 mpg hwy/31 city.
If you want to talk about throwing money away, have you seen the stupid prices on diesel Jettas?
5 grand for a friggin 200k mile 10 year old VW?
Anyway, enjoy your engine parts availability in 5 years :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.