Does you air conditioning suck bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adonis BHK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any news on the service bulletin? I'm having trouble driving anywhere in this 100+ degree weather, and I don't want to take it into the dealer again for an entire afternoon and find out there is 'no problem'.

I've got better things to do with my time!

Thanks

KKDude08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a black limited just like that and when it get up to 95 or 100 degs the A/C works like a champ. Sounds like you need to take it back in and have them fix it. It should NEVER blow warm air like that when it is cranked up, Auto or Manual.

KKDude08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also make sure you keep records of trips into the shop, if you rack up 3 or 4 get a video camera and get a thermometer and tape the malfunction. Then send a registered letter to Jeep Corp or Chrysler and list the trips and include a CD or DVD with the footage. I don't know about the lemon law where you are but in Va you have 18 months to send that letter. Must be registered so you can prove they got it. You do all that and go to arbitration then they will have to buy back the jeep at the price you paid or replace the truck with a new unit. Just make sure you read the lemon law for your state, one missing piece of paper can keep you from getting a new truck.

therock2

Reaction score
Walt must have gone to the same dealer that I did in Avondale, AZ because he quoted exactly what was explained to me about the issue.

"He said that it’s a faulty sensor that measures pressure and shuts the system down when the pressure gets to high."

I haven't found a service bulletin out for this issue but they did replace a valve during the first trip to the dealer. After the second trip back to the dealership they charged and discharged the system 5 times and it STILL cycles cold and warm on a regular basis. In fact, it's easy to tell when it is cycling because you can detect a "musty" odor when the compressor kicks off for about 20 seconds while it blows warm air. I just haven't had time to take it back for the third time. I sure hope they come out with a bulletin soon because this is definitely not normal. Good luck to all experiencing this issue.

KKDude08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im telling you, file for arbitration and it will get fixed. Thats when they will get Jeep engineers involved. Call Jeep and ask for arbitration and they will send you paper work and send it back and they will make an appointment to meet you at the dealer and they WILL know how to fix it because they DONT wanna have to replace your truck.

richd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also make sure you keep records of trips into the shop, if you rack up 3 or 4 get a video camera and get a thermometer and tape the malfunction. Then send a registered letter to Jeep Corp or Chrysler and list the trips and include a CD or DVD with the footage. I don't know about the lemon law where you are but in Va you have 18 months to send that letter. Must be registered so you can prove they got it. You do all that and go to arbitration then they will have to buy back the jeep at the price you paid or replace the truck with a new unit. Just make sure you read the lemon law for your state, one missing piece of paper can keep you from getting a new truck.

Lemon law won't get you what you paid.They deduct the time you had it,plus charge you for the miles.Its best to ask for a buy back,thats when you get full value.I did both of these against Chrysler.Yet I still drive Mopars.I also have this problem with my 08 Liberty.So far not thrilled with the Liberty.

Last edited:

KKDude08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what wrong with a buy back? Get a newer one with all the TSB's included. Mine works great.

Last edited:

richd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Walt must have gone to the same dealer that I did in Avondale, AZ because he quoted exactly what was explained to me about the issue.

"He said that it’s a faulty sensor that measures pressure and shuts the system down when the pressure gets to high."

I haven't found a service bulletin out for this issue but they did replace a valve during the first trip to the dealer. After the second trip back to the dealership they charged and discharged the system 5 times and it STILL cycles cold and warm on a regular basis. In fact, it's easy to tell when it is cycling because you can detect a "musty" odor when the compressor kicks off for about 20 seconds while it blows warm air. I just haven't had time to take it back for the third time. I sure hope they come out with a bulletin soon because this is definitely not normal. Good luck to all experiencing this issue.
I hope I have good news.There is a service bulletin its24-007-08.I had my 08 Liberty in today.they evacuated and recharge system-flash module as per TSB.So far it works,but will need a week to make sure.It looks like the TSB just came out.I talked to the Tech,and he said the 08 has a problem,but 09 should be OK.Good Luck everbody.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info dude. Im taking it in this thursday to have it checked out. I know this isn't normal because I just took a ride in my fiance's civic which has no tinting, and the a/c was VERY cold. After 30minutes running, I had to put the fan to the lowest setting because it was SO cold. The Jeep just starts to get cold, then it goes warm again. NOT acceptable.

Yeah, definitely doesn't seem normal. As a previous poster noted, the compressor ocasionally cuts out to keep the system from freezing. I can pop the hood on mine and it will cut off and on periodically, but the temp difference between the air is pretty minimal during cycle times. Once the compressor runs for a while, those condenser coils get really cold, turning off the compressor for a few seconds still blows air across those very cold coils and so you won't feel "warm" air during compressor cycling. The only way I get 'warm' air out of my vents is to turn the system off altogether. Plus, on a hot day, the compressor won't cycle that often. There is actually a temperature sensor that causes the compressor to cycle. In my repair manual, it says that when testing the AC, open all the doors and windows to keep the compressor from cycling.

Let us know what you find.

AZKKPilotC182T

Reaction score
Yeah, definitely doesn't seem normal. As a previous poster noted, the compressor ocasionally cuts out to keep the system from freezing. I can pop the hood on mine and it will cut off and on periodically, but the temp difference between the air is pretty minimal during cycle times. Once the compressor runs for a while, those condenser coils get really cold, turning off the compressor for a few seconds still blows air across those very cold coils and so you won't feel "warm" air during compressor cycling. The only way I get 'warm' air out of my vents is to turn the system off altogether. Plus, on a hot day, the compressor won't cycle that often. There is actually a temperature sensor that causes the compressor to cycle. In my repair manual, it says that when testing the AC, open all the doors and windows to keep the compressor from cycling.

Let us know what you find.

Just so everyone knows, it's the evaporator coil that gets cold, not the condenser coil. The evap coil is usually mounted inside up behind the dash, this is where the air blows through into the car. The condensation that leaks out under the car is from a little tube that takes water (condensation) away from the evap coil.

The condenser coil is mounted in front of the radiator (sometimes behind), it gets HOT and is air cooled by the air rushing through while driving and by the cooling fans mounted to the radiator.

I am not sure what temperature sensor you are referring to (I am not that familiar with this system, just HVAC systems in general), however if the book says to roll down the windows that sensor is most likely an interior temp sensor or "thermostat".

Without writing a "textbook" on HVAC in this post, if in this case the evap coil is "freezing over" when it thaws out there will be a lot of water running out under the car, or if it is too much for the tube to carry away it will run out under the dash.

I will be willing to bet, if the technician has verified the charge in the system and that the pressures and temperatures are correct, than most likely the problem is in the controls inside the car, if the car has a bad interior temp sensor (thermostatic control) than it could cycle the compressor off too soon.

HTH,

Dan

Gimme Liberty

Reaction score
I hope I have good news.There is a service bulletin its24-007-08.I had my 08 Liberty in today.they evacuated and recharge system-flash module as per TSB.So far it works,but will need a week to make sure.It looks like the TSB just came out.I talked to the Tech,and he said the 08 has a problem,but 09 should be OK.Good Luck everbody.

So a week or so later, how is your A/C performance? We haven't really noticed a problem with ours, but our vehicle was built in October 2007 so I'm thinking I might as well have it adjusted. I don't see the downside to getting it down.

richd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So a week or so later, how is your A/C performance? We haven't really noticed a problem with ours, but our vehicle was built in October 2007 so I'm thinking I might as well have it adjusted. I don't see the downside to getting it down.

Well my wife is the main driver,and I did ask her the other day,and she said it does work better,and had not got warm like it use to.I think its worth getting it done now they know the problem.To much freon will do the same as not enough.And that was the problem to much freon.Plus they reprogram the module.

mgsntx

Reaction score
I have an '08 and have been smelling freon in the cab, when its low it cycles frequently at highway speeds. I'm guessing as the vehicle persists above 1500 rpm or so, the low side pressure is dropping below the min system pressure and cutting out. Get a $30 kit from the autoparts store and top it off, preferably in the morning before the jeep and ambient air is heated up. the kits have a pressure guage and an explanation of how to use it. Good chance you probably have a leaky service valve, make sure they have caps and they are tight.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
still not up to par with R12 systems though,my '84 F150 would form icecycles on the vents after 3 min of use.

Old post, I know, but trust me, you're not the only one who misses R12. My sister's old Plymouth Colt had the best A/C I have ever experienced. That car would literally FREEZE you to death.

I still haven't found one R134A system yet that kicks out some really COLD air. Nowadays, it's just cool air. Sad.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old post, I know, but trust me, you're not the only one who misses R12. My sister's old Plymouth Colt had the best A/C I have ever experienced. That car would literally FREEZE you to death.

I still haven't found one R134A system yet that kicks out some really COLD air. Nowadays, it's just cool air. Sad.

You should check out our CX9. I think it started snowing in there when I was driving it yesterday. As long as you're moving it will freeze you. When stopped it is as cold as my KJ EVER gets.

...oh yeah, when I was little my family had a brand new 84 colt. No AC though.

Kaitlyn Nicole

Reaction score
I don't know if every Jeep Liberty is like this but mine only has 1 electric fan and when it was limping along my a/c would cut in and out too ...then my engine temp. started rising. But my fan was broken; that is probably not the case but just an idea.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.