Do you Drive off with Parking Brake still on Sometimes too?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bushmonster73

Reaction score
My daughter, whom I have been teaching to drive has a habit of only lightly pulling up on the handle which does not apply the park brake very well, and of course she routinely leaves it on. I have also noticed even after replacing the shoes and adjusting it, that it holds decent in reverse but not forward. Of course if all JK's were manual like CactusJack's, I'm sure nobody would forget to release them.

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh...in my 35 years of driving, I've seldom used a parking brake, unless parked on an incline, which is actually fairly common now that I think about it, since I've lived in the mountains all my life. It was just never ingrained in my little brain I suppose. I've never ever had to replace a parking pawl.

Sent from my own little galaxy...

KodiakKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Living in Colorado, my parking brake gets a workout. My last car was an automatic, so I didn't use it as much. Once I got a stick shift again, I had to get used to using the hand brake again. I used to forget every once in a while, but now It's muscle memory.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use my e-brake if I am parking on a hill and don't use it on flat ground. That said, I have a habit of pulling it up tight and it holds good so when I try to drive off it holds pretty good, not to mention the red warning light on the dash.......if I look..LOL

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use my e-brake if I am parking on a hill and don't use it on flat ground. That said, I have a habit of pulling it up tight and it holds good so when I try to drive off it holds pretty good, not to mention the red warning light on the dash.......if I look..LOL

Dave
Yep that's what I do but to add anytime when offroad I always set the parking brake regardless.2-3 clicks and my KJ is dead still even on a 25-30 degree slope.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have I done it yes, does it work yes, Do I use it every day yes. Is it legal not to have one no. It's a mechanical back up if there's a failure. Seen a woman go through a gas pump rather than an intersection and had to rescue her and her kids from the fire. She loss brake fluid and when she tried to use the parking or emergency brake it didn't work.

yewtree

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think the person who had my kj before me use to do it all the time as this is what i found when i changed them this weekend.

You must be registered for see images attach

phil

KodiakKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I didn't know any better, I think someone broke their wagon wheels and called them brakes. On a more serious note, I've never seen drum pads completely worn before.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I can say I learned something today. I haven't heard of that happening before.
I see it often.Nobody cares until it makes noise and most just want the noise gone and no interest in fixing it correctly so basically just pulling the rotors off and removing the delaminated linings and slapping the rotor back on and send them out the door.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see it often.Nobody cares until it makes noise and most just want the noise gone and no interest in fixing it correctly so basically just pulling the rotors off and removing the delaminated linings and slapping the rotor back on and send them out the door.

Fixing it correctly?! Ha!! That's just crazy talk! :insane:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use my parking brake anytime i park on an incline and my shoes came off of my drums. Made a nice loud 'bang' then rubbed the entire way home. No biggie to replace them with napa replacements.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Today without removing the rear wheels, I pulled the rear back plate adjuster plug, and 3 clicks later upwards, to each side, the rear hat ebrake adjustment is complete.
Maybe self adjusting in not the best terminology here.
It holds now very well. I think though sometime in the future I should pull it all apart & expect to lube the adjusters and try to figure out why the are not really self adjusting too well.
What causes the adjusters to move or self adjust, just pulling up on the ebrake handle?
Or driving forward real slow and pull up..??

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Way back I thought I remember adjusting them (Drums) close and then driving in reverse and braking firmly a couple times. I do this when I do work on my 02 with drums. Seems to work for me or maybe I'm just a creature of habit on the edge of sanity.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya I use to do that with drum brakes too.
I should mention that my 04 rig is non abs non/trac control but has disc/rotors at all 4 corners.
In this configuration the hat refers to a built in drum inside the center of disc for the parking brake only and not sure what really should active the spinners/adjusters in the little drum/hat set up.
I just have to assume it is suppose to work by pulling up on park brake lever...

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
I have the same ebrake system as you on my Avenger and did the same Backup method after replacing the rear rotors and pads and readjusting the Ebrake. Don't know if it worked but the e brake works fine on it. It really is just a little drum. I adjusted it until it just cleared to begin with.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noted that backing up tends to adjust my parking brake a bit as well though its a hit and miss, I think that either the shoes are done for or the cable has been stretched too much. I'll more than likely have the parking brake done when the rear brakes need replaced, I have first and reverse to assist with hills, though I am not a fan of leaving my Jeep or any car in gear when parked. I've heard enough horror stories and a couple that are comical but still a horror story of what happens when you leave a manual in gear alone without the parking brake applied.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a buddy in town with a steep hill and driveway (and I have an auto) and I parked it on the street.
He asked why did u park away from my driveway on the street?
I said first of all I would rather park into the curb away from your driveway cause you have no wheel block in, and I dont want to be anywhere near..if your pick up was to suddenly roll backwards!
He said nothing to worry about it is an auto....I asked did u put the parking brake on..he said I never do...I just shook my head and told him about the park pawl etc.
Now he uses a wheel block and has a good working parking brake. Smart choice!

Last edited: