Disabling the airbag system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drag Line

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone would know how to disable the airbag system on an ‘11 KK And keep the airbag light cleared on the dash.
AKA tricking the computer into thinking the airbag system is OK & not disabled.

I occasionally push with the front bumper and I would really prefer not to deploy the system if I get a bounce back & the other vehicle hits my front end a bit hard.

Thanks,

DL

ZachA2008

Reaction score
Don’t know about disabling the airbag system but are you have issues with it or just trying to get rid of it all together

Drag Line

Reaction score
Don’t know about disabling the airbag system but are you have issues with it or just trying to get rid of it all together
Hi Zach,
No issues, just want it disabled so it can’t accidentally deploy.
It is still on a recall fix anyway & I’m sure it won’t be fixed as they keep putting it off due to no parts, or so they say. Takata is gone & no one is gonna step up.
Parts for the KK are getting harder to find & I don’t want to have to look for a steering wheel center or right side dash. + I do occasionally have to push with the front bumper & I don’t want a hard knock setting it off.
J

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to https://fuse-box.info/jeep/jeep-liberty-kk-2008-2012-fuses-and-relays, fuses M16 and M32 are both airbag module fuses. If you were to pull them with the Jeep off, it may get you where you want to be with pushing stuff with the front bumper safely. You might also have to wait 30 minutes for the capacitors to discharge before pushing anything so the airbags will not deploy. However, you would want to turn the Jeep off and replace the fuses before driving anywhere, for your own safety and that of your passengers.

For a more seamless solution, it is possible to bypass a fuse with a switch and relay as shown in this thread for an off road traction control delete mod. http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=51166 Again, not safe for highway but fine for its intended use off road. No idea whether switching airbag fuses on and off with the Jeep running could cause undesirable airbag deployment though.

Just ideas based on your question. Not condoning anything above and not saying you should do them. Mod your Jeep at your own risk. o_O

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I would not recommend pushing anything with the Jeep's front bumper. I believe it's mentioned in owner's manual.
Setina may still have a real push bar available for KK?
My KJ has one in steel, but it's re-enforced big time.
Does Arb make a KK bumper?

Attachments

• Setina KJ Woods.jpg
    Setina KJ Woods.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 8

BackRoadEnthusiast

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone would know how to disable the airbag system on an ‘11 KK And keep the airbag light cleared on the dash.
AKA tricking the computer into thinking the airbag system is OK & not disabled.

I occasionally push with the front bumper and I would really prefer not to deploy the system if I get a bounce back & the other vehicle hits my front end a bit hard.

Thanks,

DL
Just curious- why does the display light being on matter, I disabled my airbags a long time ago and just ignore the light.

ZachA2008

Reaction score
Hi Zach,
No issues, just want it disabled so it can’t accidentally deploy.
It is still on a recall fix anyway & I’m sure it won’t be fixed as they keep putting it off due to no parts, or so they say. Takata is gone & no one is gonna step up.
Parts for the KK are getting harder to find & I don’t want to have to look for a steering wheel center or right side dash. + I do occasionally have to push with the front bumper & I don’t want a hard knock setting it off.
J
When i replaced my airbag in the steering wheel I had to plug it in unhook the battery remove the steering wheel cover gently and unplug it from behind the steering wheel and then put it back together

Drag Line

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies.
Now I have to digest it all.
I’m looking into having ATH build a front bumper if Morgan has time.
The relay switch looks promising too. Maybe a bumper & switch?
most of my driving is during low light hours so just ignoring the dash light isn’t an option.

KKinTexas

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies.
Now I have to digest it all.
I’m looking into having ATH build a front bumper if Morgan has time.
The relay switch looks promising too. Maybe a bumper & switch?
most of my driving is during low light hours so just ignoring the dash light isn’t an option.
Hi I have a bumper from ATH and it's fantastic. Morgan does great work, but it takes a long time as he's really busy. The factory bumper is no good for pushing. Its design to crumple and crunch up and absorb energy in the event of a collision etc.