Diff oils.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got 12k on the old libby. Its over a year old. Bought it on Jan. 2 and now its April 23. I dont tow with it, but will in the future, so im going to put 75-140 syn in it. What do u all think/ when do u all change urs. It dosent call for the ****** or t-case until 60k, which is alittle crazy if u ask me, ill change the t-case and ****** at 30k. i do off road it, not that much though. maybe 2-3 times a month. Ive been through almost 18in of water before, and i use full time alot in the rain, what do u all think, should i change it every 12k, or change it this 12k and then again at 30k.

Boaz

Reaction score
I changed the front and rear diff fluid over to amsoil at 10k. The rear fluid looked pretty dark, the front was not as dirty for some reason. I was glad I did it and now its got quality syn lube in it. Who knows what the factory uses.

2003KJ

Reaction score
I've actually got an appointment tomorrow at the stealer to have both axles's changed. $140 an axle (OUCH!!!!!) and i've got 22K on mine now. My book calls for ****** and ****** filter change at 30K....which with chrysler's rep in transmissions during the 90's, I think i'll play it safe and do it their way now.

Only reason i'm letting the stealer do the axles is cause it's still under warranty and i don't want to take the chance of them saying down the line "well Tim, we can't fix that broken water pump under warranty because you changed your own differential fluids, but we'll be more than happy to do it for you.....fo an absurd fee of course."

Boaz

Reaction score
2003KJ said:
I've actually got an appointment tomorrow at the stealer to have both axles's changed. $140 an axle (OUCH!!!!!) and i've got 22K on mine now. My book calls for ****** and ****** filter change at 30K....which with chrysler's rep in transmissions during the 90's, I think i'll play it safe and do it their way now.

Only reason i'm letting the stealer do the axles is cause it's still under warranty and i don't want to take the chance of them saying down the line "well Tim, we can't fix that broken water pump under warranty because you changed your own differential fluids, but we'll be more than happy to do it for you.....fo an absurd fee of course."

I cant belive your going to pay that for a diff fluid change... that is a total and complete rip off. and actually they cannot void your warranty if you change the fluids...
Read about the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually it is really not that hard. Not much more difficult than an oil change.

Get a gear oil pump at harbor freight and you don't even need to drop the rear diff cover. You will need the pump to fill them up anyways.

jpjeeper2000

Reaction score
I change mine after about every few times that I go off-roading we go through some pretty deep water (satuday it was coming in my doors with a four inch lift and 33s)

2003KJ

Reaction score
$140 per axle is just what they quoted me....I'm gonna talk to my buddy down there and probably get both of them done for less than that. We'll see. I ran it by him the other day on the phone and he was like holy cow! Some see me first thing Mondy morning when you get down here and we'll work something out. I'll let yall know what happens.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Well i ended up not getting them changed today. Couple of reasons. The mroe i thought about it, $140 each was a tad high, my buddy wasn't there today, and there was some new "hot shot" service manager working today, and not my usual service manager who I KNOW would give me a break on the price.

Plus the new guy was a big snotty. I told him that I had an appointment at this time and he pulls up the records and says, "looks like oil and filter change, state inspection, and front and rear exle fluid change." I said, "boy $140 per axle is alotta money just to change the fluid and seals on just the axles, I think i'm gonna hold off on them for another few thousand miles, unless you can cut me break on the price, because as you can see, all the service thats ever been done to my Jeep, which isn't much, has been done at this facility, isn't there some kind of loyal customer discount or something?" and he snaps my head off and responds back very quickly saying "NO SIR!" I was like, OK, definately don't touch my axles then young man, you just lost $280 in 3 seconds, and by the way, the oil change is free, here's my coupon." I then threw him the keys and walked away. Boy the look on his face was priceless...LOL. I talked to another salesman on the floor while I was waiting and he told me the regular S.M. would be in tonight and would be the one who gives me a follow up call later on this evening (I get one the night of bringing it in for service, asking was I satisfied or not, and would I change anything). I know the regular S.M. pretty well, and I do intend on letting him know about this new "hot shot" punk.

It really is a shame. This dealer's been in service for 75+ years and has a very good reputation. They've always made sure I was a happy guy when I left, taken me to and from work (a good 20 miles one way) several times when I've dropped it off for service/recalls, follow up with phone calls after each visit, and they know me by name now. And this is the first chrysler vehicle i've owned. And some young punk like this is going to send that dealers reputation down in massive flames with that attitude. And we all know, you're odds of finding a good chrysler dealer are pretty much non-existant.....so i'd really hate to see this one go sour.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jpjeeper2000 said:
I change mine after about every few times that I go off-roading we go through some pretty deep water (satuday it was coming in my doors with a four inch lift and 33s)

Cool! =D>

lightfoot44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the service manual says differential fluid change at 30,000

The owners manual and service/maintenance books say that the differential service should be done at the 30,000 mile mark. Why in the world would anyone do it any sooner?

2003KJ

Reaction score
I don't have a whole lot of time or money. And at the time I was going to do it, I was using a vacation day, and had just got my paycheck, so I had both at the time. Plus, I might be getting a job that is about 100 miles away from my home (one way), so those miles will add up quick.

KY Liberty

Reaction score
You need to change it more often than the manual says. Even if you don't off road, and especially if you have the limited slip. The dealership can't refuse to cover a warranty item because you had your diff fluids changed someplace that does better work than them for less money. For them to refuse to honor the warranty, they must be able to prove that the cause of the failure of that part was caused by the modification, or an error in maintainace, or abuse. Then they can only not honor that failure. They can not void your warranty. Just mention Magnusson Moss and you have a relative that's an attorney.