Died while driving 40 mph, is this a known occurrence?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aztimer2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While driving, my 2002 Liberty home it quit. Basically it died and while rolling I put it into neutral. I had to really pull ******* the steering wheel to get it to turn around the corner to get out of traffic. While rolling in neutral I turned the key and it cranked over and started. Then i just drove it home about 1/4 mile down the road, turned it off. When it quit, all the lights on the dash went on. So i let it set for 30 min went back out to start and it worked fine, no codes no lights on the dash. Now i have to drive it to work tomorrow and should i be worried or drive it to the shop?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a problem like this on my 2002 Export 2.5 CRD.

Engine would cut out.."ping" and engine light on. Cluster lights On as if I had just turned ignition On.

Start it up and could drive for several miles then this repeats....got worse as I continued on my long trip....no codes.

I was pretty sure that it was a clogged fuel filter and fitting a new Mopar one solved the problem.

So possibly a fuel problem on your KJ..check the fuel pump and fuel filter are OK as fuel problems often do not post codes.

Swap over the Fuel Pump Relay and ASD relay with identical ones nearby in the box under the hood.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
While driving, my 2002 Liberty home it quit. Basically it died and while rolling I put it into neutral. I had to really pull ******* the steering wheel to get it to turn around the corner to get out of traffic. While rolling in neutral I turned the key and it cranked over and started. Then i just drove it home about 1/4 mile down the road, turned it off. When it quit, all the lights on the dash went on. So i let it set for 30 min went back out to start and it worked fine, no codes no lights on the dash. Now i have to drive it to work tomorrow and should i be worried or drive it to the shop?

Sounds like something electrical to me. Battery and connections OK?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull codes from it. These early KJs are very hard to find a Code Reader that works as they use a PCI bus compared to the newer KJS which use CAN/SCSI bus.

You can use the "key" method to pull codes with some limitations.

Without starting the engine rapidly turn the ignition ON/OFF 4 times.
After the last ON action leave the ignition ON and the Odometer should start displaying codes from the oldest codes which may be ancient and no longer of interest to the newest codes which may be relevant.
Most owners using this method state "3 times ON/OFF" but 4 times works for me...may be differences between my 2002 Export CRD and the USA 2002 gassers!

Write down the last few codes and post them here on this forum.

The codes are not erased using this method.
The codes are not repeated.....you may have multiple codes of P2468 but it will only display once.
Sometimes the last two digits may be transposed...Code P1234 may come out as P1243 which can be confusing if this turns out to be a listed code.

I deliberately cause a code on my CRD by disconnecting a connector somewhere...this gives me a marker so I know any new code posted is a new problem!

Last edited: