DICK CEPEK 130W BAJA LIGHTS - Anyone use them?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Those are nowhere near street legal... they're 130W...

This doesn't mean you can't run them... I guess you could until you get pulled over.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Hey,

The aux. lights must not be higher than the centre line of the vehicles head lamps.
The aux. lamps if used for fog lighting applications, will be installed connected to the vehicles Low beam(dipped) circuit and aimed properly.
If the lights are used for driving lights, then the lamps must be connected to the high beam (main beam) circuit.

You are only allowed to have a total of four sets/pairs of lights operational on the front of your vehicle.(This includes head lamps, turn signal/front marker lights, and up to two pairs of additional lights {this includes factory fog/driving lights})

As far as lights mounted on the roof:
You may have as many as you like. But, they are not allowed to be functional while the vehicle is operated on a highway or other wise public road. The bulbs must be removed or the wire connection must be disconnected while on a public road so that the lamps cannot be switched on while driving.
So as far as the Dick Cepek lights go... Ya mount them. Just be extra careful with them, and if you use the lamp covers, most of the time the local constabulary leave you alone if you're good.

I've got 4 Bosch Rallye lights(each lamp* 10inch diameter and 130 watts, thats 520 watts!) on the front of my '76 Mini rallye car, and was out one night on a stretch of straight highway, I had just adjusted them for long distance projection and I'm flying up the road... On the horizon, on the side of the road I see white fender with reflective stripes, then white door with R.C.M.P. shield(reflective as well), then white rear door/quarter panel !
To make a long story short, $198.00 fine for excessive light! (censored) @ss hole! :(
Mind you, I could see the colours of the R.C.M.P. shield from far far away!

(contact your local R.C.M.P. and ask for rules and regulations regarding auxiliary automotive lights)
What I quoted here is correct to the best of my memory. The information was given to me by am brother-in-law a retired R.C.M.P. Constable of 20 years who's done it all.

Cheers
Ry'

BTW, I have 4 6'X9' Dick Cepek 130watt lights...
They are going on the roof with a custom made lamp bar which brings them closer to the edge of the windshield for better aiming.
I also converted them from H3 to H4 double filament bulbs.

http://aa.bosch.de/aa/en/static/produkte/lichttechnik/zusatzscheinwerfer/rallye.htm These are the lights on my Mini

Hauntedyards

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so once these kinds of lights are mounted can they then be aimed? Or are they stuff at whatever level they are screwed down at?

I haven't mounted any lights yet... but I'll have to drill holes in my bull bar and I'm wondering if these lights are adjustable (up/down, etc ) AFTER they are installed.

Thanks again!
Jeff

trailpixie

Reaction score
My understanding has always been that if you have opaque covers over them while you are driving on the road, you are fine with whatever lights you have.

I use PIAA 520 series with 85 watt bulbs--none of this "55watts=85 watts" garbage. I think the max street legal wattage is 55, so they are not way over the top like 130 watt bulbs would be. I have used mine in remote, rural roads for years without incident. They are fantastic. They also aren't so large that they look conspicuous or ridiculous on the KJ.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it still street legal to run aux. lights (55w) and the headlights at the same time? That would be a total of 220w (55wx4).

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have these and have any info on the beam pattern or anything?

They look good... whats the diff between these and the version which CAN be used on highway?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DICK...ryZ33710QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD6VQQcmdZViewItem

Thanks, Jeff

Thanks for the input... it appears there are much better options out there... such as KC Daylighters.

Jeff

Also, I have the KC Slim-lites. They look just like a factory install, so I've never had them covered and never gotten pulled over. I don't use them on the highway, unless it is a very dark, deserted 2-lane, and if I see a car in the distance I turn them off right away. I have the driving beam. They really make a world of difference, they light up so much area that you can turn your normal headlights off and barrely notice. They work great in conjunction with the factory high-beams or low-beams.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Good day,

Here in the lower mainland of British Columbia(Vancouver and surrounding area) the R.C.M.P. can be real dick heads and like harassing people with nice tricked out vehicles.
I see 4X4's daily with their auxiliary lights either pointed straight up or down to the ground.
It happened to me in my mini. The only reason I can get away with leaving them pointing foreword is because;

A, They have no bulbs fitted in the city.
B, They have light covers fitted as well.
C, The wiring harness' is quick disconnect and removed from each
lamp unit.

Hell, they have even come after me for the back-up and rear fog light

(Cheers)

ryan

Latest posts

Members online