Daytime Running Lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed in my Fuse Panel that the Daytime Running Lights Fuse isn't there. Now is the Daytime Running Lights system a whole separate unit I need to install or can I just pop in the proper fuse and have Daytime Running Lights?

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try popping a fuse in there and let us know what happens.... idea.gif

Seriously, I don't know. Usually it's a circuit built in with the existing lights like on GM vehicles. Maybe someone else knows, OR just pop a fuse in there and see what happens.

Last edited:

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about fuses, but do know you need to install a DLR relay and remove the headlight relay, also there have been posting about needing to have the dealer do some magic with the BCM

Bob

OldBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, when I had my VW New Beetle, to disable the DRLs (I hate those things) all you had to do was pull a relay.

WoodysKJ

Reaction score
DRL's are controlled by the relay as well as the fuse that powers the relay.

WHY USE them if your state/country doesn't require them.

I have read that GM's have the highest rate of Alternator failure attributed to DRL's.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about alternator failure, but I like having the option of turning my lights completely off. DRLs take away that capability. If I feel the need to drive with my lights on in the daytime, I turn them on. No fancy relays required.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Here in Canada where Day time running lights were invented by somebody working for GM. All vehicles in Canada have to by law have day time running lights.
It is proven to save lives.
Befor Day time running ights I drove with my lights on all the time. It doesn't cost anymore fuel. Just shortens the life of the bulb.

nightowl90028

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to know how to get Daytime Running Lights. I know alot of people dont like them but hell, if they help save a life and saves me from having to just turn the light lever..laziness..then someone please chime in and tell us if there is a way to get it done. I called the dealer when i had an 05(about a year ago) and they said it didnt come as an option.hmmm

OldBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One downside to DRL's (from my POV)....

I ride, and all motorcycles for years now have always had their lights on whenever the bike is running. Gave us 2-wheel lovers a slight edge because we were the only ones w/ lights on during the day, and it got us noticed. People have become used to seeing lights on on many cars during the day, which ruined the motorcyclists advantage.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only problem I have with DRL's is that a lot of people drive at night without actually turning on their headlight switch. I'm sure they can still see forward reasonably well with their headlights only 50% as bright (recent DRL's only run at 50% brightness, old DRL's ran at full brightness) problem is no-one else can see them from behind (no tail lights). I often wonder how they can see their gauges on the dash.

Nearly ran into the back of a lady the other day in a late 90's sunfire. She nailed the brakes, and there was an extra 2 to 3 second delay before I realized she was stopping REAL hard. Scared the life outta me how I could've missed that since I was so far back from her, then I realized why I missed it, she didn't have one working brake light... not even the center stop lamp (usually there's 3 bulbs in them). ALL her rear facing lights were out. If I was to beat her within an inch of her life with my spare bulb package, do you think the courts would go easy on me?

While we're on the subject of lights and such... another pet peeve of mine is lately (past 3 years or so) I've noticed that locally (Kitchener, Ontario) the ambulances have resorted to NOT using their sirens. I've been nearly wiped out on 3 separate occasions by speeding ambulances popping out from behind larger vehicles as they run a red light with no sirens going. In all three instances their sirens were turned on AFTER almost t-boning into me. I can understand the need for them to NOT want to annoy everyone by running the sirens all the time while they're on call to an emergency but when they're running red lights and weaving through heavy traffic or even through busy intersections on green lights don't they think it might be a good idea to use the audio warnings too? I thought if they were on call (and might be exceeding the limit) they were REQUIRED to use lights AND sirens? Or am I mistaken... any ambulance drivers among us?

Something else to note as well... just cuz I'm a bastard 0.001% of the time
I get a lot of high beam flashers while driving the Liberty at night. I know the headlights are bright, mostly because they're higher up and people think I'm running high beams. I've noticed this nasty little trick...
Turn on your headlights and driving lights.
Pull the stalk towards you and hold it towards you to turn on the high beams.
Pay attention that the fog lights go off and the high beams don't go on until you release the stalk.
Now do it again to turn the high beams OFF.
Notice that the fog lights turn ON when you pull the stalk towards you and the high beams DON'T turn off until you release the stalk.
If you hold the stalk in this position you effectively have fogs AND high beams on at the same time... NOW that's bright!!!
So go ahead and flash your high beams at me, you'll be getting it back WAY worse :)
If I had the renegade lights on top, those high beam flashers wouldn't know what hit them :)

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only problem I have with DRL's is that a lot of people drive at night without actually turning on their headlight switch. I'm sure they can still see forward reasonably well with their headlights only 50% as bright (recent DRL's only run at 50% brightness, old DRL's ran at full brightness) problem is no-one else can see them from behind (no tail lights). I often wonder how they can see their gauges on the dash.

Nearly ran into the back of a lady the other day in a late 90's sunfire. She nailed the brakes, and there was an extra 2 to 3 second delay before I realized she was stopping REAL hard. Scared the life outta me how I could've missed that since I was so far back from her, then I realized why I missed it, she didn't have one working brake light... not even the center stop lamp (usually there's 3 bulbs in them). ALL her rear facing lights were out. If I was to beat her within an inch of her life with my spare bulb package, do you think the courts would go easy on me?

While we're on the subject of lights and such... another pet peeve of mine is lately (past 3 years or so) I've noticed that locally (Kitchener, Ontario) the ambulances have resorted to NOT using their sirens. I've been nearly wiped out on 3 separate occasions by speeding ambulances popping out from behind larger vehicles as they run a red light with no sirens going. In all three instances their sirens were turned on AFTER almost t-boning into me. I can understand the need for them to NOT want to annoy everyone by running the sirens all the time while they're on call to an emergency but when they're running red lights and weaving through heavy traffic or even through busy intersections on green lights don't they think it might be a good idea to use the audio warnings too? I thought if they were on call (and might be exceeding the limit) they were REQUIRED to use lights AND sirens? Or am I mistaken... any ambulance drivers among us?

Something else to note as well... just cuz I'm a bastard 0.001% of the time
I get a lot of high beam flashers while driving the Liberty at night. I know the headlights are bright, mostly because they're higher up and people think I'm running high beams. I've noticed this nasty little trick...
Turn on your headlights and driving lights.
Pull the stalk towards you and hold it towards you to turn on the high beams.
Pay attention that the fog lights go off and the high beams don't go on until you release the stalk.
Now do it again to turn the high beams OFF.
Notice that the fog lights turn ON when you pull the stalk towards you and the high beams DON'T turn off until you release the stalk.
If you hold the stalk in this position you effectively have fogs AND high beams on at the same time... NOW that's bright!!!
So go ahead and flash your high beams at me, you'll be getting it back WAY worse :)
If I had the renegade lights on top, those high beam flashers wouldn't know what hit them :)

I know what you mean about people thinking you're running with your highbeams on. I have the same thing happen to me all the time. People honking and high beaming me as they come at me.

I've learned a lot from this thread here about DRLs. Both of my parents have 03 Chevy's. A Malibu and a Avalanche. Both have DRLs but when it gets dark out there headlights come on full power and there parking lights come on full power automatically as well. That’s how I thought DRLs always worked.

mulderbean

Reaction score
Ived got a '02 KJ thats from Canada and it has DRL. it doesnt bother me living in Texas

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One downside to DRL's (from my POV)....

I ride, and all motorcycles for years now have always had their lights on whenever the bike is running. Gave us 2-wheel lovers a slight edge because we were the only ones w/ lights on during the day, and it got us noticed. People have become used to seeing lights on on many cars during the day, which ruined the motorcyclists advantage.

I don't drive a motorcycle but I imagine that even with your headlights on people still don't see you and turn in front of you.

I'm for daytime running lights except when I'm on the trails.

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Day time running lights

I now have factory day time running lights working on my 03 Liberty LE.
I found out how to make it happen in the troubleshooting section of the Factory Service Manual under "DRL not working". The factory system sends a low voltage to the high beams when ever the engine is running. No other lights are affected. To make them work you need to get the DRL Relay. It is a different pin arrangement than the high beam relay and has cooling fins on it since it uses a voltage dropping resistor to send the low voltage. There is a MOPAR number which I do not have but I was able to get mine from Rockauto Parts on line for about $40. Part # is 1R1676. You must remove the High Beam Relay (keep it for a spare) and insert the DRL relay into the labeled position. The trick to getting them to work is to have a setting in the Body Control Module (BCM) changed. That setting is the country setting and yours should say USA. It must be changed to Canada. I was lucky and got to speak with the technician (Paul) at Lithia Chrysler Jeep in Anchorage AK, that does all their diagnostics. He had never heard of doing it, but was willing to listen as I described what the Service Manual said. He asked if I had the Liberty with me and offered to give it a try. Plugged the DRM 3 in to the data port and found the BCM menu and moved through it to find the country setting, looked at that menu and selected Canada. Since it was about -10F at the time we had the engine running for heat and as soon as he completed the change, bingo on come the high beams only at reduced brightness. They work just like the owners manual says they should and nothing else has been affected that I have found. I suspect that menu might be available with a OBD 2 scan tool also but do not know since I do not own or have access to one. My next step is to investigate the Rear Fog Light Option. It is only available in countries that require it but it is covered in the Service Manual. We get bad ice fog and heavy snow here and a brighter light of some kind on the rear would be a help. There are quite a few other "options" addressed in the Service manual that I may try also. Good luck!

snowsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's interesting info, thanks!
Also, I've never heard of the rear fogs....what sort of a setup is that? Are they red lenses, but brighter bulbs?

One thing I noticed last summer about DRL's and motorcycles is the pulsating lights some of them run during the day. Very noticeable from afar.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's interesting info, thanks!
Also, I've never heard of the rear fogs....what sort of a setup is that? Are they red lenses, but brighter bulbs?

One thing I noticed last summer about DRL's and motorcycles is the pulsating lights some of them run during the day. Very noticeable from afar.

The rear fogs are in vehicles over seas. I've never seen a vehicle in the U.S. with them. I think they're amber/Yellow Bulbs. How practical are they? I dunno. I can see them being useful on a road with zero lighting or offroading in the dark.

tooslow

Reaction score
Rear fog lamps are high intensity lamps around 25watts about the same as a stop lamp bulb.
they are red in colour and usually one is fitted on the offside (cost) but can have two fitted on either side.

The fog light switch has two positions the front then the rear, so in most cars the rear comes on with the fronts, usually they can be switched on when the driving lamps (not headlamps but parking lamps) are switched on, theory been in fog the headlamps can dazzle but because fog lamps have a different lens pattern they don't dazzle well front any way.

If rear fog lamps are switched on when it is not foggy then they dazzle the driver behind and the police tend to stop you and have a nice quite ord in you shell like ear.

Hope that clears things up.

Martin

Lou48314

Reaction score
Here in Canada where Day time running lights were invented by somebody working for GM. All vehicles in Canada have to by law have day time running lights.
It is proven to save lives.
Before Day time running ights I drove with my lights on all the time. It doesn't cost anymore fuel. Just shortens the life of the bulb.
I have an '07 Chevy Silverado that has the DRL's. It also has the auto lights. I NEVER have to turn my headlights on. EVER. My '04 Pontiac has the same thing. It has over 60k on it and no alternator trouble. No electrical trouble at all.
In the past two weeks I have had to hear the headlight bell to tell me I left my headlights on. This is the only thing that bugs me about my KJ. I miss the DRL and auto lights.
I definitely agree that DRL's save lives. I am all for it on ALL vehicles in the U.S. It should not have to be a law, it should just be done.