D rings and Cold air installed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, it was different back in the day when the air intake was right over the engine. Then a "Cold Air Intake" actually made sense. Now (and a lot longer than a while back...), intakes bring in cool air from somewhere outside, usually, making cold air intakes.... not cold air intakes.

truth....most often than not i hear people use the phrase cold air intake interchangeably with what the intake really is...a short ram intake

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"short ram intake" the correct term for what most intake marketed as a CAI really are, just a less resrictive replacement for the stock intake...real CAIs get run far away from the motor(usually low down near the bumber, inside a fender and sometimes further away beneath the vehicles undercarriage, CAIs are more marketed towards streetcars therefore mud and water arent a huge concern, whereas on a jeep a cold air intake would more than likely do more harm than good, unless it is in the form of a snorkel

Jake.Ski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i thought about a snorkel! just the price and the cutting into the body scares me away...

but most jeeps that i have seen have had like an aem intake with an cone filter,wranglers. But that was also in Nevada where mud isnt common at all! and most rigs last time i went on the rubicon had them...

But after reading common sense kicked in and said "hey stupid dont chance it"

VeitzJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you look at K&N's site, you only get like 5-6 HP gain at high RPM's with the Lib. Where as with something like a Civic you'll get more like 16 HP gain.

VeitzJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine seems more responsive as well is an in-box K&N filter and platnium plugs. Not saying it wouldn't help... but not worth the $350 IMO. Plus all the downfalls like water for a Jeep.

Jake.Ski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, i think today i might throw the box back on but keep the aluminum pipe and see if it makes any differance. i will be running my brand new fram air filter til i order a k&n.

iMTB

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
I think what you guys feel is in your head. You can't feel 1hp. You feel something like switching to 4.10 gears, or adding 32s on stock gears. You can't even really feel hp anyways, you feel torque.

I think the snorkel is a good thing, but water and the KJ don't go together enough to benefit from a snorkel. I went in deep water with the stock airbox, and although I didn't get any water in the engine, I got muddy water in the interior, both diffs, the ******, the fuse box, the headlights, the alternator, the battery...fried the BCM, clogged the radiators, and basically just messed everything up.

Basically, adding a snorkel to the KJ would not instill me with any more confidence than the stock airbox, because everything else on this Jeep doesn't do well in water. I think the snorkel would be great in the desert though. My filter gets full of sand just driving on the beach and sugar sand in FL.

Jake.Ski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think what you guys feel is in your head. You can't feel 1hp.

i just said its more responsive, but i have only noticed in low end nothing in the higher rpms or anything.

im not planning on doing any huge mud holes or anything i really like the look of a snorkel though. but what happens when its raining? does moisture get in the tube and into the filter?

iMTB

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
i just said its more responsive, but i have only noticed in low end nothing in the higher rpms or anything.

im not planning on doing any huge mud holes or anything i really like the look of a snorkel though. but what happens when its raining? does moisture get in the tube and into the filter?

Should be totally fine in the rain.

Jake.Ski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ill just have to do some research on how hard the install process is. also how much the whole setup is going to cost!

Kugellager

Reaction score
Actually, If you follow where the air intake on a stock gas KJ comes from it is mostly from under the hood between the airbox and the passenger fender.

The stock diverter in front of the stock snorkel pulls air from that little space in the sheet metal on the hood above the snorkel/diverter. This squarish hole opens again in the sheet metal in the hood over by the space between the airbox and the fender. So some outside air does probably get in but I would bet most of it comes from under the hood.

My version of the intake uses most of the stock parts or at least their configuration but ducts the air directly from the outside just over the passneger headlight. See pics in my "mods" link in my sig. Page two about 1/2 way down has my intake mods and shows the configuration of the stock intake. Page three of my mods has some additional pics of the intake...maybe a bit better.

Regardless the computer probably compensates for most of the mods anyway...Though I have to say there does seem to be a noticeable seat-of-the-pants change in acceleration for the better.

John
];')

Last edited:

jay20jeep

Reaction score
just a CAI question/ comment

i have a kn drop on filter no mileage gain its just better filtration than a plain paper filter but i do like it alot better than paper filters, wouldnt call a kn intake tube a complete waste but the kjs stock intake tube isnt very restrictive, the fipk is ment for a vehicle with a pos stock air intake

Do you notice the oil being much dirtier with the K&N? I ask because they DO flow more than stock, which I interprit as more "stuff" getting through the filter. I have had K&N filters on my cars. and any of them being newer then 07, I didn't see the gain (i had a lil 97 2dr neon it made a HUGE difference in milage. and a 98 Ford explorer). BUT my 07 kia rondo.. no difference in milage. I worked at a garage as an oil monkey, and a lot of cars with K&N filters looked like they missed a few oil changes. The lead mechanic ran a nissan 240 with the 2.5 and a K&N cold CAI and he changed his oil religously and it always looked way over due!

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you notice the oil being much dirtier with the K&N? I ask because they DO flow more than stock, which I interprit as more "stuff" getting through the filter. I have had K&N filters on my cars. and any of them being newer then 07, I didn't see the gain (i had a lil 97 2dr neon it made a HUGE difference in milage. and a 98 Ford explorer). BUT my 07 kia rondo.. no difference in milage. I worked at a garage as an oil monkey, and a lot of cars with K&N filters looked like they missed a few oil changes. The lead mechanic ran a nissan 240 with the 2.5 and a K&N cold CAI and he changed his oil religously and it always looked way over due!

i honestly couldn't tell you, i switched back to paper filters (napa brand) just for peace of mind and faster maintenance (cleaning drying and oiling the filter was time consuming and i never saw a fuel mileage gain or anything so i just stopped caring about buying a new filter every year...i dont see myself buying anymore k&n products anytime soon (not bashing them but i dont see a benefit to them)

Latest posts

Members online