Cylinder 6 misfire update with surprise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
178k. All maintenance done last year. Coils plugs sensors fluids etc
Earlier in summer I would get a random cylinder 6 misfire. Would go away after restart and never present itself again for weeks if not months.
It came back in October with a upstream passenger side o2 code as well
All 4 have been replaced with OEM brand last year.
So I replaced the coil over #6 under warranty and o2 sensor.
Ran fine.
Last week cylinder 6 misfire on cold starts and after repeated restarts it goes away but runs funky at idle.
Tore it down today and I found a few interesting things :

*Spark plug missing a piece of the ground strap
(Was it lean due to the misfire cutting off the injector or did the injector fail intermittently and cause a lean issue ??)

*Injectors removed, 2002 178k, passgner side seem more discolored then driver side. Also the atomizer has 4 holes per injector. Reading here - members claim only 1-2 holes and want to “upgrade” to 4 hole atomizers. Hmm

*Found a set of free injectors for $50. Money was refunded when they were advertised as oem and Bosch but turns out to be Deleen brand.

So I’ll go through with the swap. Save my injectors. Send them out for rebuild and keep for spares. Alternatively I could just pocket injectors from the pick and pull from a lower mileage jeep come spring. Either way - jeep needs to be running come Monday.

Pics to follow

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:

Still won’t run smoothly. Oil on dipstick looks good. Not milky. I feel like it’s burning coolant and bogging the engine down until it’s warmed up. Then just at idle in gear it idles roughly but not enough to trip the light

Pulled plugs again. All of them look brand new except for cylinder 6 - it’s filthy.
Did a compression test - all are within 5 -10 psi of each other.
I think for sure the head gasket is leaking around 6 but into the cylinder.
Not a sure fire way to confirm but the rad cap always has pressure even days after I’ve drven it. Which could explain why I’m always leaking coolant past my hose clamps.

Not sure where to go next. If I drop it off somewhere while I go back to work - they will charge me to the diagnose everything I’ve already done or replaced. I really don’t like thst idea but being away for work takes away from me fixing this myself

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After letting it sit - took it for a test drive. Initially I was just moving it but it fired up like a charm and ran without misfiring. Idle was perfect. Wasn’t shaking. Odd but I’ll take it.
Drove a few miles. Shut it off and it never started again. Something electrical went out.
You can get it to run by holding the accelerator but it sounds like half the cylinders are firing.
Code 1282 shows up. Swapped relays. Nothing.
So looks like jeep#1 is a paperweight

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea. The whole thing really *****. Even if I was to grab another engine only the 02-03 are compatible options. Head gasket repair cost is about $400 less then a new used engine swap. Which I still find is ridiculous cause the engine runs strong , occasionally...
I might just put a fork in it and hand it over to a shop. If this would have happened during warmer weather - I’d have the engine sitting on a stand by now.