CRD's tires wearing on inside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lea Ann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the CRD is now 8 months old but has 19,000 miles on her! The tires have been wearing down on the inside since we got it home. My hubby noticed it about one month after we got it and we took it for an allignment check. It checked out fine. Now, after tire rotation, the front tires are wearing very bad now!! When I took it in for the fog light lense I had them look at the tires and the agreed that it was still wearing and since I had brought it in before my 12K mile warranty was up, the agreed to look at it and do the allignment for free.
Well, I get that wonderful phone call that the allignment is in the specifications it should be in.
Then why the hell is it wearing the tires then??? ](*,)
Then the Service Manager gets out his little piece of paper and lets me know that all the CRDs are made that since the motor is so heavy they are tilting the tires in alittle to help carry the weight and the wearing is NORMAL!!
HELL NO!! My hubby used to be a mechanic and he said that if the were ment to tilt one direction that they would adjust another part of the tire allignment toward the other direction to keep it from wearing.
Has anyone else had this problem??? and what should I do about it?

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
yeah..my fronts wore heavy on the inside....like you..alignments and all checked out...just didnt really bother cuz it was the crap years..and i wanted them to wear......

inspecting the new ones carefully...so far....so good.....but still too early in the mileage dept to really start noticing....

Old Navy

Reaction score
I run 38 psi in the tires and have had no problems with traction or wear on the Wrangler ST's after 4000 miles.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, dont have a crd, but i run 35 psi and rotate every 6k and mine are doing great. 17k on them and i should get 30k, not that i really want to though. [-(

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the exact same Jeep as Lea Ann, I've also had mine for 8 months and I'm just now over 16,000 miles. I recently switched to better tires (General Grabber AT2) and love them. Your wearing problem is not a defect with the Jeep, it's a defect with the tires. The stock tires are EXTREMELY low quality junk. Do a search on tirerack.com sometime and see what people have to say about Goodyear Wrangler STs. When I took mine off to put on my new tires, it blew my mind how thin and cheap the Goodyears are. The sidewalls are literally as thick as a rubber band. I cannot believe Jeep is putting these tires on 4x4s from the factory. It's insane. Let those tires wear as fast as they can and replace them with some quality rubber and you'll be happy!

kj lad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive a 2002 2.5 CRD manual (UK spec). I got 28,000 miles out of my original tyres and the wear was even. The tyres were rotated every 5,000 miles. I now have 235/70 r16 Cooper discoverer ST's on her and I'm getting even tyre wear........... Do you have select trac and use the full-time 4x4 setting? If so, that maybe why. If not, I have no clue as to why you're having this problem!

Ian

Lea Ann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have only put the CRD in 4 wheel drive one time. I just keep it in 2 wheel drive all the time. Hubby has decided that when our house sells ( Dear GOD, LET IT BE SOON!!!) we will replace the tires. So thank you everybody for the replies for both issues! It was a great help!

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How often do you rotate, Lea Ann ? At 11,458 miles, my REVO's are wearing great.......they're rotated every oil change (1st at 5,707 miles and then today at 11,458 miles).
Greg