CRD Oil Color

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richardkf

Reaction score
I have an '05 Liberty with just 3700 miles on it. After reading a lot of posts on here and on L.O.S.T. about oil consumption when breaking in the diesel engine, I checked my oil. It is really dark black. Is that normal for the diesel or should I get it changed. It has an in-service date of sometime during the late Summer of '05 and I was planning on donig an oil change at 5,000 miles anyhow. Does everyone's oil look that dark and murky on their CRD too?

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, that's the way it looks. I am on the factory 6K plan and mine used no oil until like somewhere between 4K and 5K then it was suddenly down a quart. Changed at 6K and hasn't done down a drop so far this time. Still very dark though.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats normal for diesels. I like to change my oil alittle early the first time, but its really up to you. I changed it at 1,500 on my gas engine then at 3k again. Ive changed it at 3k from there on out but Im going to get my oil analyzed next time and may go on up to 5k if it turns out good.

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has been this black each and every time I've changed it :

You must be registered for see images

................and that's with 5700-----6000 mile drain intervals, no city driving.

Greg

Members online

No members online now.