CRD Front End Lift Issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Forestech Jr.

Reaction score
Hello,

First of all this is a great site and I wish I would have found it when I sooner! As a proud Jeep owner that is on his fourth Jeep and third Liberty I have found most of the information on this site to be informative and for the most part quite accurate. Keep up the good posts!

Now to my question for all of the Liberty experts out there….. I have retired my 2003 Jeep Renegade (fiance’s new truck) after 3 plus years of tough service for an extremely low milage 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD. When I made this purchasing decision, I promised myself that I would lift this truck as this was one of my major complaints about my Renegade. For those of you thinking why, I work in the forest industry and spend 20-30% of my driving off road and I use the term “road” loosely. :) I am sick of hearing rocks, dirt, roots, etc clanking off of my front suspension and skid plates! I have done some research into lifting this truck and have arrived at the conclusion that the leading contenders for lifting my ride are Rusty’s, Frankenlift, and Old Man Emu. Old Man Emu being recommended by my local dealer that has lifted and heavily modified a couple of Liberty’s but no CRD models.

I have noticed after the first week with the CRD that it feels like a lot different truck that the gas version. The engine is noticeably heavier and it affects the way the truck handles both on road and off. This has got me concerned about front end longevity as most of my clients/co-workers run Chev 3500, Ford F-350, and Dodge 3500 with diesels, and all have to do their front ends every 18 months no matter stock or modified. In my gas Liberty I have got excellent front end life besides all the recalls and a couple of pinion seals. This has got me concerned about doing my lift as it seems that the only company that has a CRD specific lift is Frankenlift? Has anybody out there done the Frakenlift on a CRD? Those of you that have lifted a CRD who did you use?

Thanks in advance for your help!

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Frankenlift is an CRD OME spring lift with spacers and front strut bumpstops essentially. You can also go with jeepinbyal upper control arms (more spring/upper control arm clearance and gets your front alignment closer to stock) that have Moog greasable ball joints and the replacement Moog greasable lower ball joints if you have front end problems. So far my '05 has had none. The Frankenlift if you get the OME shock upgrade has a proprietory custom length/valved rear shock. The OME Frankenlift for the CRD is only like a month or so old so we haven't got much history with it yet. The Daystar spacer CRD Frankenlift has a good history.

Forestech Jr.

Reaction score
Hmm thank you for your reply! It looks like I will have to do some more research, but it is going to be hard if the CRD Frankenlift has only been out for a month. Did you install your lift yourself or have someone else do it?

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did it myself. Not hard if you mecanically inclined and have the tools that any home mechanic would have.
The Frankenlift is nice because as I said all the parts are preassmbled and correctly aligned. You can save a little maybe by assembling in the local shop, but if it's not right you have to go back. Front is the hardest, back was a piece of cake and can be done by virtually anyone.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The CRD Franken lift is no longer a spacer lift. They have coils that can hold the extra weight of the CRD now..

Gatorator

Reaction score
I have a Frankenlift on my 06 CRD. I am currently living near Lake Quesnel and spend 90% of my time on dirt and Forestry roads. No problems and I like the ride on the washboards much better although it wasn't bad before. The full time 4 wheel drive is like being on rails around corners in gravel and even some of the Corduroy areas are smoothed out.

Get it.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what tires you have on that mama, she is beautifull!

ill soon be a franken lifted CRD as well. called All J last friday, they said the new franken CRD is 1/4" shorter so the assembly is easier for those who where having trouble in the past w/ the CV boots getting damaged in the install.

Anyone heard of mattracks on a liberty? =D i wonder what those things cost...

jcrocombe

Reaction score
Tyre and wheel combination

Hello there

I have a 2007 CRD LTD that came with 17" wheels, but it seems Mud Tyres for them do not exist in a suitable size. I think there are some BFG MT tyres to fit the 16" wheels of the SPORT, so may have to get another (third) set of wheels.

I have the second set fitted with ContiCrossContact AT tyres in original 235/65R17 size for general driving on bush tracks etc. These just touch in a couple of places but work quite well.

Can you tell me what brand and size of wheel and what tyre size you have used on your jeep, please?

Regards
John

Forestech Jr.

Reaction score
Thanks for the sweet feedback everybody! I finally have had enough time and KM in my CRD to feel comfortable enough start moding now. My CRD seems like it actually has more clearence than my '03 Renegade but I still will require more with where I have been going....

I went in for my first oil change the other day and complained to the service guy that I heard a wierd knock in my suspension when turning right down hills. The Chystler mechanic that did my service came out after it was finished with a baseball sized rock that was supposedly jamed in my suspension and said there was gravel in all of my skidplates. The mechanic asked my where I had been and I told him where I was the last week (not the last two months) and he thought that I should look into a lift kit and bigger tires as I guess I also have a few battle scars already on my skid plates as well.

Gatorator,
What size of rubber are you running? Do you like the Firestone Desination M/Ts? Any flat probblems on shot rock when going up spurs?

Gatorator

Reaction score
The tires are 245/75R16s. I really like the tires and have no problem, yet, on shot rocks. They tore apart my old Toyos.

Traction is very good in mud puddles and such found on bush tracks in the spring and they are dandy on compound snow and ice in the Winter.

Wheels are Canadian Tire snow wheels as I have my stock wheels still mounted on my original tires for going to town. It is always nice to have a quiter ride when going to where the people live.

Forestech Jr.

Reaction score
Ordered the Frankenlift CRD II last Friday and have located two companies (one is my Jeep dealer) that I trust enough to put it in for me. I notice that on the All J Products website that they recommend 245/75R16 size tires and 04-06 Rubicon rims.

Gatorator, or anyone else, have you had any problems with your 245/75R16 tires on stock rims rubbing on any of your body/suspension components? I notice on the website that All J Products says that 50% of units lifted have to pound in the pinch weld and talking to Heather at All J maybe trim some other areas under there as well. Did you have to do any of this? Also at full steering lock do the tires rub on your front sway bar?

Lewii

Reaction score
I used the 2" Revtek lift, and 245-75's. Works perfectly, did the work myself over a weekend, only had to rent a spring suppressor.
Good luck!