Cooling Fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trentelli17

Reaction score
Hey, so I have a 2005 Liberty 3.7l that came with the heavy duty tow package. The electric fan behind the radiator and also the bigger shroud and mechanical fan attached to the water pump. My question is would it be ok to replace the electrical fan with a new one with a thinner shroud and either remove the mechanical one altogether or keep it for extra precaution. If keeping it, will it be fine without that larger shroud over it. Simply to add extra room in there when working on things. Or would it be best to keep it as is and hopefully after I replace the water pump I will not have to get back in there for a while. Any advice is appreciated.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, so I have a 2005 Liberty 3.7l that came with the heavy duty tow package. The electric fan behind the radiator and also the bigger shroud and mechanical fan attached to the water pump. My question is would it be ok to replace the electrical fan with a new one with a thinner shroud and either remove the mechanical one altogether or keep it for extra precaution. If keeping it, will it be fine without that larger shroud over it. Simply to add extra room in there when working on things. Or would it be best to keep it as is and hopefully after I replace the water pump I will not have to get back in there for a while. Any advice is appreciated.
If you remove the shroud you massively reduce its effectiveness, the duct forces it to pull air through the radiator.
If you don't tow then you could probably just remove it. If the replacement electrical fan is the same size and capacity as the original it will should be OK, however I would be cautious about reducing the cooling capacity, boiling the engine will result in a very expensive headache.

Trentelli17

Reaction score
If you remove the shroud you massively reduce its effectiveness, the duct forces it to pull air through the radiator.
If you don't tow then you could probably just remove it. If the replacement electrical fan is the same size and capacity as the original it will should be OK, however I would be cautious about reducing the cooling capacity, boiling the engine will result in a very expensive headache.
Copy that, thank you.

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have the HD cooling package installed.

The fan shroud is a PITA to work around no doubts, but this cooling package is the best factory option for preventing high engine temps.

you can certainly "downgrade" but I would only do so out of necessity. You would remove the mechanical fan and clutch, and replace the shroud and electric fan with the NON-heavy duty cooling model.

Do not simply remove the mechanical fan, the electrical fan in the heavy duty package does not pull as much air as the standard duty fan (because it is meant to be sandwiched up against the mech fan and the two fans are supposed to work together to maximize airflow).

Trentelli17

Reaction score
Thanks for the input folks, I'm gonna keep both fans and finally got my water pump replaced. Overall I'm gonna go ahead and keep that extra security with both.