Condsidering buying a KJ, Stolen KJ (a must read)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SundanceKid

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new here and with much research and info found on THIS forum, I'm considering a 02-03 KJ to replace my stolen K1500.

I am wanting the automatic trans and my concern is that the 4sp ****** may not be as good as the 5sp. I have seen posts in diff. forums about the 4sp probs. and that the 5sp auto may be a better ******. Does this sound correct? Is the 5sp only avail in the limited in 02 - 03?

Also, with my truck being stolen, I am concerned about the KJ being on the hit list for the black market. http://www.newschannel5.tv/2005/4/8/2216/Police-Bust-Three-in-Car-Robbery-Attempt} So an alarm would be good too.

Thanks,

SK

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey! Welcome to the board.

As for the transmission, I have only driven the 4-speed automatic. My 02 has the 3.7. I've been a stick driver for forever, this is my first automatic vechicle. I have NO problems with it, I'm actually pretty happy with it. After driving it for a couple weeks, I learned how the engine shifts, and I can drive it like a stick by using the gas pedal. It's quite a capable vehicle, and it has power to spare with the 3.7l.

For security stuff, if you find a KJ with the factory security system, or add the factory security system to it (very easy to do with a little help from your dealership), it includes a sentry key. This basically disables the vehicle, even if it's hotwired, if the correct electronically encoded key is not in the ignition. Might not stop someone from getting INTO the vehicle, but would definitely help keeping it where you left it. If you hotwire it or start it with a non-chipped key, the engine cuts out after about 5 seconds. Apparently the system on 02-04 liberties has some options available aftermarket, so you can get a siren, etc for it.

My two cents for what its worth.

-Blu

2003KJ

Reaction score
The 5speed is only available on the current 2005 model year KJ. As well as the 4 speed and a SIX speed manual (very cool for a Jeep). All the other years, when equiped with a automatic, got the 4 speed.

The 02's seem to have the better automatic ******. I never could get the numbers right but I believe the 02's got the 45RFE and everything else starting at an unknown date in the 2003 model year production got the 42RLE. Like I said I may have that backwards, if i do, somebody please correct me.

I do know which ever of the 2 was in the early KJ's, it was shared with the Rams, and is a slightly stronger ******. But on my KJ, I have the other ****** (late 03 model) and haven't had any problems yet.

Over all, unless you've driven a chrysler automatic lately, they take some getting used to. They make noises, clunk and sometimes shift rough, especially on a Jeep, but thats normal for a chrysler ******.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SundanceKid said:
I am wanting the automatic trans and my concern is that the 4sp ****** may not be as good as the 5sp. I have seen posts in diff. forums about the 4sp probs. and that the 5sp auto may be a better ******. Does this sound correct? Is the 5sp only avail in the limited in 02 - 03?

Also, with my truck being stolen, I am concerned about the KJ being on the hit list for the black market. http://www.newschannel5.tv/2005/4/8/2216/Police-Bust-Three-in-Car-Robbery-Attempt} So an alarm would be good too.

Thanks,

SK

I think the 5-speed AUTO is new (as in ONLY available in the 05's). I know I have the 4-speed auto in my 2004,I don't think there's much info on the new 5-speeds yet. In the earlier models, look for a 2002 or 2003 that was built before July 01, 2003, after that date they changed the 4-speed auto ****** to a lighter (apparently less rugged?) version. I haven't had any problems and I have the lighter (less rugged?) one but people who have had both prefer the earlier "beefier" one.

I believe the theft rate of a vehicle is relative to a LOT of things, foremost your location. Think of this for example, if you live in the north and have a lot of "bad" weather, it's likely (although not guaranteed) that the theft rate will be higher for 4x4 type vehicles. However in the south, this may not be the case. Also a lot of reason is because there are more of them per capita (people who live in bad climates have more SUV's per capita, therefore more are stolen... makes sense). I believe the OVERALL theft rate for Jeep Liberty's is rather low... but then again most vehicles pale in comparison to the early 90's Acura Integras. 8-[

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Interesting. I know that the Grand has been on the top ten list in many states. Car thiefs should be treated like horse thiefs 100 years ago... taken out and hung at the town square. That would stop it. =D>

SundanceKid

Reaction score
Good to know on the ******. Anyone have preference or feedback for the rear drums brakes '02 vs. rear disk '03?

Thanks to everyone for the info and input.

This forum has been an inspiration for me to go buy a Liberty!

(Cheers)

SK

THIS SPACE RESERVED FOR NEW KJ!

Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 02 Limited with 58,000 km. No problems with the auto 4 sp. transmission. It's supposed to be a bit beefier than that 03s and later. Also have the rear drums. I replaced the front disk pads at 50,000 km (30 k miles) and rear drums still had 50% left. Seemed a bit early for the fronts to me but others on this forum have had similar experience. No problems with either front or rears and they've seen mud, water and fair bit of gravel road.

I actually have learned to love the auto in 4x4 - in bull low, it's a real gas to use the throttle to crank things around and not have to clutch.

2003KJ

Reaction score
I'm partial to 4 wheel disc. Makes replacing the brakes MUCH easier. Plus, when drums go, boy do they really go. But thats my opinion and my experiences, it's your jeep, get what ya want :)