Clutch replacement 05 3.7 6 spd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greatpatch

Reaction score
I believe my throwout bearing is bad. I've ordered a clutch kit from Rockauto. I've got it up on jack stands and I am trying to follow the Haynes manual. Years ago I removed a transmission and transfer case at the bell housing from my 1975 Scout II all at once. Can I do this with my Liberty? I am stuck on removing the transfer case with the recessessed 14mm nuts to the transmission and might bus it to Harbor Freight to get a "go through" socket set.

Last edited:

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haynes & Chiltons used to be good....crap since the 80's. Get yours:

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have taken them out separately on 2-3 occasions now.

If you have trouble getting tools on the top bolts, separate the trans crossmember from the frame and pivot the whole drivetrain down an inch. Once you have those free, bolt the crossmember back, remove the tcase, then carry on.

Be sure to grease the contact points between the fork and TO bearing. It was clear from the wear I'd missed that on my first clutch change.

Greatpatch

Reaction score
I have taken them out separately on 2-3 occasions now.

If you have trouble getting tools on the top bolts, separate the trans crossmember from the frame and pivot the whole drivetrain down an inch. Once you have those free, bolt the crossmember back, remove the tcase, then carry on.

Be sure to grease the contact points between the fork and TO bearing. It was clear from the wear I'd missed that on my first clutch change.
Thanks. I couldn't get a ratcheting box end on the transfer case nuts. I even bought a set of go-through sockets, which didn't work. I could get an open end on the nut but was stripping it. I gave up and pushed it (downhill) to a transmission shop. They removed the whole transmission and transfer case together. So $1200 later, it's running.

Members online

No members online now.