clean your engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeep1350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it necessary to cleen your engien on your car is there any benfit of doing this just waste of money let me know guys thanks?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a benefit,clean it often and clean the undercarriage often also(at least once a month if not more).

Besides any tech working on it will like you better and may decide to fix it properly.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
There is a benefit,clean it often and clean the undercarriage often also(at least once a month if not more).

Besides any tech working on it will like you better and may decide to fix it properly.

Ha ha yeah I remember those days, especially when people came in with a fresh undercoating job done( rustcheck..ect) all over the rad support, inner fenders, under the hood itself......messy.

There is also the advantage to see where leaks are really coming from on a clean engine, instead of guessing looking at a big oil/dust splotch all over the valve covers.

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you are in the KK section, your vehicle is newer so do it now while it is easy. Soapy suds, a soft brush and a garden hose is all you need. No degreasers. It's easy to keep clean after that.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Since you are in the KK section, your vehicle is newer so do it now while it is easy. Soapy suds, a soft brush and a garden hose is all you need. No degreasers. It's easy to keep clean after that.

x2.....I doubt it but, if it's very dirty, Simple Green works great...

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i use degreasers and simple green. not together, but just when i have one or the other. keeping dirt and mud off of the engine also helps heat dissipate better. same goes for the ******. makes them easier to work on too.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just drive through puddles, it seems to clean pretty well..

WarER4X

Reaction score
A friend of mine took his JK through a "puddle" that was a bit too deep. Sometime later during the same trip, he started having trouble with his engine overheating. Come to find out, that "puddle" caked mud all over his engine block, so it was wearing a nice, warm, dirt blanket. He ended up cleaning his engine with a rubber mallet (bangin the dirt clumps off.) ;)

-SR-

cvt8474

Reaction score
I know you're probably not supposed to mix some chemicals, but when I redid the engine compartment on my '67 chevy I mixed: simple green, laundry detergent (sounds dumb but works, tire cleaner, and a degreaser. The truck was originally from Georgia, and that Georgia clay came off remotely easy with my concoction of cleaners. It had about an 1/8th of an inch of grime on the power steering unit, and after I was done it was show ready.

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score

+1. It makes my job a lot less messy. It gets old having dirt clods fall on your head when you are working on somebodies vehicle.:D

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
My engine was totally splattered with mudd 2 weeks ago (along with the rest of the jeep) I used simple green and a garden hose on the engine. I had to go over it twice because I missed a couple of places but now it is pretty clean. Simple green seems to work good.

Dave

w8in4yurmom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When using the hose what should I cover electrically speaking? I don't need a bad alternator in my life or anything else stupid lol.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
When using the hose what should I cover electrically speaking? I don't need a bad alternator in my life or anything else stupid lol.

I stuff a towel in the intake. You could cover the alternator but I don't bother. When I spray it off I take the nozzle off and just let the water come out with no real pressure. I just try not to soak the alternator or any other electrical connections too much. Everything does get wet but I havn't had any problems doing it that way using no real pressure. Then I blot out little puddles that form in the nooks and crannies. Then I run it on a joy ride......:D

Dave

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cover any electrical connections. The alternator is optional but hey I cover mine just to be on the safe side. I spray the entire engine compartment with a light solution of simple green. let it soak on a warm, not hot, engine. wash off with light pressure. soak up any water that collects in places. Drive your Jeep at operating temperature for a while. Open a cold one and call it good.:cool:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I use a concentrated cleaner called "LA's Totally Awesome Cleaner" $3.00 for a litre and when you water it down, it makes up to 4 litres.
I fill the cleaning solution container from my KÄRCHER pressure washer and hook up the hot water tap.
First I spray off as much grime as possible and then pressure wash with the water/cleaner mix. I do the engine and under the hood, the bottom of the KJ.
And usually the wheels as well.
It also works on sun baked insects that hit the windshield at 70 miles per hour.
Once I'm done cleaning, I rinse it off with hot water. I too blot up as much water as possible and then run the engine or go for a ride to "blow dry" it.
When ever we go to a gas station and I check the oil level, people are always asking my if our Liberty is new because it is so clean under the hood.