Check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Good day,
After being out and about all day yesterday with my wife and parents and clocking up about 125 miles of driving, we park the Liberty at the parental units house and have diner.
My wife and I go to leave, start the engine and the engine light came on and stayed lit.
I read what the owners manual had to say(not a lot really) and decided to leave it parked until Monday morning when it goes in for servicing.

Anybody have any guess' as to what it could be?

I figure the Lambda sensor has exceded it's service life, as it has been showing classic signs. Poor fuel economy, poor idle, and hesitation during acceleration.

Cheers
Ry'

2003KJ

Reaction score
Not sure if you have an Autozone in Canada.....but check a lot of your major chain parts stores. I know in the US, Autozone will read the codes for free.

Poor fuel economy, poor idle, and hesitation on accelerating, I'd look at a possible oxygen sensor issue.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try recycling the key three times and see if it throws a code.

Don't know what year you've got but if it works it will bring up a code. write it down and post it.

on - off 3 times ending in the off position. (do not start it)

And/or do what 2003KJ said.

Dave

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Good day,

Well, I tried cycling the key three times to see if the computer would through a code, but it did not!

So off to the local Jeep dealer we go this morning to have the check engine light diagnosed and (conveniently ) a scheduled oil change and air filter.
Turns out, that after driving for the last three months and our 125 mile journey three days ago, the spark-plugs fouled and consequently fried causing multiple misfires.
So, add one full tune-up.

The vehicle was also checked for any recalls that might be outstanding and subsequently the ball joints were replaced under warranty.
(It amazes me that the previous owner hadn't tended to that considering that it was a recall issue!)

Now, after a hefty bill for some other stuff as well, our Jeep drives awesome and is getting better fuel economy.
Hell, they even washed the exterior, Armouralled and vacuumed the interior for us!

Cheers
Ry'