Check engine light on again...........

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

libertylimitedcrd

Reaction score
So, my check engine light came on, took it into dealer, they pulled code, decided it was a bad solenoid, replaced solenoid. I picked Jeep up, check engine light was off, drove it about half a mile, check engine light came on again. Took back into dealership, now they are going to replace a computer that tells the transmission when to shift.

Thank goodness for warranties that cover a rental!!!

Someone my husband knows has a CRD as well, and they ended up putting a ****** from a Renegade in it.

Any thoughts from anyone???

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
how is it driving when the CEL comes on?
i had a similar problem, where i kept going into limp mode. dealer replaced solenoid 3 times, before finding out it was something else. (valve something, i cant remember what it was)

at one time, about 2 blocks from the dealer, after picking itup, it went back into limp mode. unfortunately for me, they were closing, and couldnt take the KJ anymore, so I had to "limp" home, and bring it back the next day

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They put a Renegade ****** in a CRD?? How did they do that? The CRD uses a different transmission than all the other Libertys. It's the 545RFE which is heavier duty to handle the extra torque. I didn't know the other ****** would bolt up to it, and even if it did the standard automatic you get in the Renegade probably won't last long behind the CRD engine.

2003KJ

Reaction score
a computer that tells the tarnsmission to shift? Sure it's not a sensor they're talking about? Only thing that comes to mind is the Throttle Positioning Sensor, and usually when that goes wack, you know. Shift points are all wrong, and usually extremely harsh (i.e slamming into gear, getting stuck in one gear or alot of times even both).

redbink

Reaction score
Mine won't up shift, pulled the codes;
P0401 - insufficient EGR flow
P0700 - TCM command check engine light on
P0720 - output speed sensor circuit malfunction

Because it won't up shift suggest that the shift solenoid pack needs to be replaced in the transmission? P0401, could be a variety of things related to the exhaust gas re circulation system (EGR) that could be telling the transmission control module (TCM) not to shift properly. I beleive the actual problem is with the EGR, which has nothing to do with the transmission which would be the logical choice if you are experiencing shift problems. Has anyone experienced this problem or would agree with my diagnosis?

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine won't up shift, pulled the codes;
P0401 - insufficient EGR flow
P0700 - TCM command check engine light on
P0720 - output speed sensor circuit malfunction

Because it won't up shift suggest that the shift solenoid pack needs to be replaced in the transmission? P0401, could be a variety of things related to the exhaust gas re circulation system (EGR) that could be telling the transmission control module (TCM) not to shift properly. I beleive the actual problem is with the EGR, which has nothing to do with the transmission which would be the logical choice if you are experiencing shift problems. Has anyone experienced this problem or would agree with my diagnosis?

I would suggest your own thread on this, since it's an old thread. P0700 sets whenever a trans code sets, in your case P0720. You have a P0401, a separate code, and wouldn't case a malfunction of the output speed sensor. Output speed sensor faults can cause lots of shift issues, and I've changed my share of Chrysler trans output speed sensors.