Cheap Fix for Transfer Case Cable Bushing/Clip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MisterMicroscope

Reaction score
The right way.

Jeep spent millions on engineering and manufacturing this vehicle. There's an amazing amount of machinery in your Jeep Liberty and it's all operated by this little cable with a weak plastic bushing retainer! Hey Jeep, you drop the ball when it comes to important small details that means the difference between your machines working or not working.
Well, you guys here on the forums have all come up with great ways of fixing this important problem. In my opinion, they're all temporary fixes.
The right way to attach that cable end is a bolt and a nut,the nylon locking kind.

I unscrewed the shifting lever from the transfer case. I cut off the post that's protruding where the cable presses on to.
I replaced that post with a 5/16 bolt. I cut the head off the 5 / 16 bolt and welded in place of that factory little post. The bolt I welded on is 1/2" longer than the original so I can thread on a locking nut at the end. I made a bushing out of a roller for a sliding closet door. This fix will never fail.
You must be registered for see images

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeep spent millions on engineering and manufacturing this vehicle. There's an amazing amount of machinery in your Jeep Liberty and it's all operated by this little cable with a weak plastic bushing retainer! Hey Jeep, you drop the ball when it comes to important small details that means the difference between your machines working or not working.
Well, you guys here on the forums have all come up with great ways of fixing this important problem. In my opinion, they're all temporary fixes.
The right way to attach that cable end is a bolt and a nut,the nylon locking kind.

I unscrewed the shifting lever from the transfer case. I cut off the post that's protruding where the cable presses on to.
I replaced that post with a 5/16 bolt. I cut the head off the 5 / 16 bolt and welded in place of that factory little post. The bolt I welded on is 1/2" longer than the original so I can thread on a locking nut at the end. I made a bushing out of a roller for a sliding closet door. This fix will never fail.

never say never...

Steve-O

Reaction score
Fix That Works!!

Ok,

So I have been toying with this the last few months, I have tried some including the original part that eventually just failed so thought I might put in something that works a treat, currently in Australia to get the required Mopar bushing is about $100 AUD including freight. So with these posts and a little modification I found a fix that works, shouldn't cost more than $5 - $10 AUD and you will have plenty of spares too.

1) Fuel Hose (I used Codan H514 Cooler/transmission hose as long as its the right diameter doesn't matter what you use I guess)
2) 1/4" Stainless steel washer
3) E Clip. (I don't know the size as it was a mixed box so might have to research that part yourself my guess is slightly smaller than 1/4"?? dont know used to the metric system sorry)

Step 1: Push fuel hose through the linkage "eye/hole" and cut. Note leave a little excess as the hose will slightly push through as you place it on the "pin" so do this on the side there the Cable meets the transfer leaver so as it pushes through it has excess on the outer edge, this will help hold the washer nice and flush to the e clip.
Step 2: put washer on
Step 3: Very fiddly to do I lost 4 e clips but push e clip on. you might have to try a couple of times getting the hose length right but when you hear it clip in place there is no sweeter sound.

TammyB

Reaction score
Stupid question

Will the parts listed here work for my 06 KJ Renegade. I have no 4wd at all. My handle just moves - nothing happens. This winter is wreaking havoc on my Jeep. Thanks in advance guys. 1 degree F doesn't lend well to fixing the problem right now but prepping for those warm 40 degree days. :mwah1:

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cotter pin from home depot works well for that

RodMac

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Liberty Renegade and the transfer case cable link came off at the transfer case also. Got home and ordered this bushing on amazon. When it came in it did not fit the 2006 Renegade. I also have a 2003 Liberty Sport, when I checked it’s cable it was not connected. This amazon bushing fit the 2003 Sport. For the 2006, I took a 1/8” pipe nipple, cut it 3/8” long, and drilled the inside out to 5/16”. It fits perfect over the transfer case lever shaft. I then used this axle/push nut black 3/16 ( what it says on the bag) from Lowe’s. This thing popped on the transfer case shaft securely. Photo shows cut and drilled pipe nipple, and axle nut used.

None of this is difficult, but may save you guys some time and trips to the store knowing this fix will work.

Attachments

• 30784754-5AEA-4AD3-817C-515F5FD62A05.jpeg
    30784754-5AEA-4AD3-817C-515F5FD62A05.jpeg
    38.2 KB · Views: 18
  • CA4EAAEE-6875-40F7-8F02-D001E4AD5928.jpeg
    CA4EAAEE-6875-40F7-8F02-D001E4AD5928.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 24

RodMac

Reaction score

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.