CHASING THOSE CODES.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LONGJEEPOWNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been chasing the Gas Cap light, P0456 and the P0455 code for about a week now.
Installed a new Mopar gas cap first. That eliminated the Gas Cap light, then when the P0456 code came up I replaced the Evap Purge Valve.
The last code to come up was the P0455 code. I replaced the Vapor Canister and still kept getting the P0455 code.
My final last ditch effort was to bring it to a local shop and have a smoke test done! To my surprise the smoke test revealed a leaky EGR valve. Replaced the EGR valve yesterday and reset the computer so time will tell if that did the trick.
I have a 2010 Jeep Liberty 3.7 engine with 185,000 miles.

ReniTheRenegade

Reaction score
I have been chasing the Gas Cap light, P0456 and the P0455 code for about a week now.
Installed a new Mopar gas cap first. That eliminated the Gas Cap light, then when the P0456 code came up I replaced the Evap Purge Valve.
The last code to come up was the P0455 code. I replaced the Vapor Canister and still kept getting the P0455 code.
My final last ditch effort was to bring it to a local shop and have a smoke test done! To my surprise the smoke test revealed a leaky EGR valve. Replaced the EGR valve yesterday and reset the computer so time will tell if that did the trick.
I have a 2010 Jeep Liberty 3.7 engine with 185,000 miles.
did this do the trick?

john e denson

Reaction score
I have been resetting my 2005 about once a week for the last year with the same problem. Sometimes the light will come on the next day and sometimes it takes a week. Sometimes the code says it is evap problem and other times it says it is the thermostat. Replaced the thermostat and water temperature sensor and gas cap so far. The light comes on before the engine warms up so I am not worried bout it overheating. Cleaned the throttle body. The jeep runs good so I am just tinkering with it. Guess I might check into a smoke test.

MsRandiCook

Cookie
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine was this hose to this control module. It was the bottom hose connection that was old and leaking. Changed the module and fixed the hose and all good. I did have to cleared the code as it didn't go away by itself.
You must be registered for see images attach

john e denson

Reaction score
thanks I forgot to say that I did change that valve too and broke the hose while doing it. I think they call it the *** valve. One of these days I will get lucky and put this light to rest. Someone said get some carb cleaner and spray around the hoses and if the engine picks up speed to replace that hose. Gonna try that next.

MsRandiCook

Cookie
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks I forgot to say that I did change that valve too and broke the hose while doing it. I think they call it the *** valve. One of these days I will get lucky and put this light to rest. Someone said get some carb cleaner and spray around the hoses and if the engine picks up speed to replace that hose. Gonna try that next.
John,

I was almost purchased one (smoke machine). I talked to a mechanic and he uses this all the time for evaporator issues. Especially for old vehicles!

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the tubing connected to the evap solenoid up front. Mine had a hole worn through where they pass close to the battery. I was getting the gas cap warning.