Chasing misfires.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AAXFabian

Reaction score
OK. Last week, I took my 02 Sport(120,000mi.) about 300 miles round trip. Before I had to make the trip again, I decided to do the plugs and ****** kit. After all is said and done, I had a misfire code. P0302 and P0352. Misfire and coil problem. I was a ******* and started looking at cylinder 1 and then after a trip to the parts store 2 miles away to get a new coil and plug, I realized #2 coil was unplugged. I plugged it back in and ran it. The codes went away, but as I made the 300 mile trip again, I noticed a slight stutter in the engine at stops. It had the same power and everything and drove fine, but just hesitated.
I went away for the weekend the next day and it was left home. While gone, my wife called and said the car was running horribly and the misfire codes were back but on cylinder #1 and #2. My father-in-law changed put new plugs and coils in both cylinders. Since then, the misfire has only gotten worse. Sometimes the code would go away, but the misfire would remain. Sometimes the engine light would flash, sometimes solid. The only thing consistant right now is that it is cylinder #1. By doing the old simple, unplug stuff as its running, I found #1 sometimes fires slightly and sometimes not at all.
I have reset the computer a number of times. I swapped plugs between #1 and #6, ran it. Then swapped coils between #1 and #6 and ran it. The misfire did not follow. I've poured injector cleaner in, made sure I got good gas in it. 2 whole sets of spark plugs. I don't know what else to do. Did I cause all this? Someone tell me I did something stupid and it's an easy fix. Thank you if anyone can help.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. Last week, I took my 02 Sport(120,000mi.) about 300 miles round trip. Before I had to make the trip again, I decided to do the plugs and ****** kit. After all is said and done, I had a misfire code. P0302 and P0352. Misfire and coil problem. I was a ******* and started looking at cylinder 1 and then after a trip to the parts store 2 miles away to get a new coil and plug, I realized #2 coil was unplugged. I plugged it back in and ran it. The codes went away, but as I made the 300 mile trip again, I noticed a slight stutter in the engine at stops. It had the same power and everything and drove fine, but just hesitated.
I went away for the weekend the next day and it was left home. While gone, my wife called and said the car was running horribly and the misfire codes were back but on cylinder #1 and #2. My father-in-law changed put new plugs and coils in both cylinders. Since then, the misfire has only gotten worse. Sometimes the code would go away, but the misfire would remain. Sometimes the engine light would flash, sometimes solid. The only thing consistant right now is that it is cylinder #1. By doing the old simple, unplug stuff as its running, I found #1 sometimes fires slightly and sometimes not at all.
I have reset the computer a number of times. I swapped plugs between #1 and #6, ran it. Then swapped coils between #1 and #6 and ran it. The misfire did not follow. I've poured injector cleaner in, made sure I got good gas in it. 2 whole sets of spark plugs. I don't know what else to do. Did I cause all this? Someone tell me I did something stupid and it's an easy fix. Thank you if anyone can help.

what plugs did you use?

AAXFabian

Reaction score
Autolite were the first round then the 2 that were replaced after that were Champion. I know champion *****, but where the spark plugs are makes no difference.