changing transmission fluid/filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aliciak5885

Reaction score
I have an 07 liberty limited. It's at 155,000 miles. It's not shifting out of 1st. Someone recommended a transmission flush and filter change (which it hasn't had since I've owned it @ 80,000 miles). All other maintenance has been done regularly. I've heard mixed reviews on transmission flushs/changes. Some say change often, some every 100,000 miles and some say not at all because of potential transmission slips. please help and insight?

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a transmission shop can scan it and see if a solenoid is sticking? Don't flush, but a fluid and filter change won't hurt.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I grabbed a dipstick from a junkyard that was entirely too long. I use it to check trans fluid on Jeeps that got the plug, just use the chart for the temps and a temp probe on the end of the dipstick.

Last edited:

Michael Noland

Reaction score
I had a flush done on mine at about 150 miles. My former mechanic didn't get the filter on correctly, and it blew the transmission. Apparently, it isn't idiot proof.

David A. Warr

Reaction score
Hi,
I decided to change the filter and fluid in my 2004 Renegade at under 180,000kms. Almost immediately the transmission wouldn’t shift up from first gear. I thought somehow I messed up. However, after shutting off the engine the transmission went back to normal. Two codes did come up, P0841 and P0731. The first one is a pressure sensor fault and the second one says Gear 1 Incorrect Ratio. This problem has happened twice more but each time it fixes itself. The problem hasn’t happened for quite awhile and the transmission has 206,000 kms on it now.
Does your Jeep shows codes?
David